Reverse flow mash tun with CF-HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesku

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make one? I've been toying with the idea of pumping the wort from the bottom of the mash tun for sometime. It would enable super fast mash heating with CF-HERMS as the gravity fed flow trough the grains wouldn't be restricting the max flow rate. Where I now have max. flow of 2.5L/min from the mash tun, with reversed system I could pump the wort back as fast as I wished. My bigger pump can push about 11L/min, that would be almost enough to recycle the whole wort in just over a minute and with the CF-HERMS adding > 40F per round that would make this setup pretty much instant mash heater. If it works....

I can see there will be tons of issues to solve with this approach, that's why I'm asking if anyone has done it before? :mug:

Sparge:
- would reverse sparge work, or would it need a 2-way system, reverse for heating and normal for everything else?

- Pump priming?
- How to collect the wort from the top of the mash tun, filtering?
- Controlling the flow rate, DC-pump?

+ many more ?'s

if you push the liquid into the mash faster than gravity can take it, you're going to create severe channeling through the grainbed, which will screw with your efficiency...

why do you need to heat/cycle so fast? are you trying to solve a problem or just trying to invent something to do?

Just for the fun of it. I'm not solving problems, I'm creating them.

I would be pushing it from the bottom of the mash tun to over come the limits that gravity gives us. A high flow when heating and then tuning the flow down for "a normal herms re-circulation".

i think you will run into problems with head pressure in your MLT as well as channeling. there are many parts of brewing where faster is not always better.

Vesku said:
Just for the fun of it. I'm not solving problems, I'm creating them.

That's unofficially my motto at work.

Back