Irish Stout Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will my conversion work for a 1 gallon brew and be ready for March?

1.1 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 63.8 %
0.425 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 24.6 %
0.175 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 10.1 %
0.025 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.4 %

1 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 31.2 IBU
0.3 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

1/2 Pkgs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004) or DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

What should I use for the primer when bottling?

Named for Arthur Guinness and his silky smooth contribution to the world.

I have a few extra cornies on the way to the house so I'm going to try and get two of these filled and set aside. I'd love to let these guys condition for 3-4 months before tapping them next fall. I'm not sure that's gonna happen though...:eek:

Many thanks to Dude (and others), whose guidance helped me keep this Guinness Clone true to it's simple roots...

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 23.8 SRM
View attachment 1561
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 63.8 %
4.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 24.6 %
1.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 10.1 %
0.25 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.4 %

3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 31.2 IBU

1 Pkgs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004)
------------
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17.25 lb

Oh...and this just in for those wondering how this would stack up against other stout recipes:

Can someone break this reciped into a step by step process for me?
I am new to homebrewing and am used to recipes that tell me what to do in every step.
My guinness is already soured and ready to go.
Thanks.

Ingredients:
9 lbs Brit pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
18 oz roast barley
12 oz carapils
1.5 oz No. Brewer hops (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 min)

First, get the "tang" the way Guinness does: Sour about 24 oz (2 bottles) of stout (pref. Guinness) by leaving it out in a bowl a week or more & then freezing it.
While brewing, thaw the sour stout & heat it to 180-190 F for 20 min.
Mash-in at 155F, hold for 1 hour, boil 1 hour & 15 minutes.
At end boil, add the sour stout.
At 70F, pitch 2 packs of Wyeast #1084.
A month or so of cold lagering (<40F) after bottling or kegging will help.
A certified beer judge could not tell this from bottled Guinness.

I'm looking to brew this on the weekend and I have Tettnang hops in my freezer. Since the hops are only used for bittering, I'm hoping to get away with subbing Tettnang for EKG's and adjusting the IBU's in Beersmith. Think that would work, or should I take a ride to the LHBS?

I will be brewing this recipe this weekend. My LHBS has:

Briess Roasted Barley 300 Lovibond
Hugh Bairds Roasted Barley 500-600 Lovibond
Pauls Roasted Barley 600-680 Lovibond

Which roasted barley is the right one to use for this recipe?

Either the Hugh Bairds or the Pauls, not the Briess. I don't know how they can call that roasted barley, it is most certainly not what you want for a stout.

So, just finishing up my last keg of this stout, just thought I would add a comment for the others like me that don't have a stout tap or nitro available. I'm not sure where I heard this orginally, probably on a forum somewhere, but to get that creamy head I fill the pint glass about 1/2 to 3/4 full, then using a turkey injector, suck up a syringe full of stout and squeeze it back into the beer. Suprise, beautiful cascading bubbles just like the real deal. After everything calms down, fill up the glass the rest of the way. I know this sounds wrong somehow but hey it works.

This is basically what happens with the widget. Good find. I am about to brew this recipe and I do have a beer gas set up so I am quite excited to see the results.

Anyone else notice the color of the final beer to be kind of light? Mine ended up more of a brown than a black color. Beersmith has the LV at 23?

Anyone else notice the color of the final beer to be kind of light? Mine ended up more of a brown than a black color. Beersmith has the LV at 23?

Either the Hugh Bairds or the Pauls, not the Briess. I don't know how they can call that roasted barley, it is most certainly not what you want for a stout.

I just brewed a batch yesterday...I'll have to see it when it's done fermenting, but it looks a bit light going into the fermenter.

Here is my recipe, scaled for my equipment (20qt pot that nets 3-3.25 gallons in the fermenter:

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable °L
63% 4 0 Pale Malt, 2 Row, UK 3
24% 1 8 Flaked Barley 2
8% 0 8 Roasted Barley 300
2% 0 2 Chocolate Malt 475
1% 0 1 Acidulated Malt 2

80 minute mash at 150F

1.25 oz 5.0% EKG @ 60

1/2 pack US-05

I had to add 3 oz of DME (boiled in my hydrometer sample) to get the OG up to 1.040. I did a single infusion, no sparge brew. My SRM was estimated at 26.

I think the Briess Roasted Barley (300L) is the culprit for those of us who are experiencing lighter than normal color. I did add chocolate malt to help compensate and get a flavor a little closer to Murphy's.

If it's still too light after fermentation, I'm considering color adjusting using Sinamar: http://morebeer.com/view_product/11337

Yes, you want about a pound of 500°L roasted barley for a 5 gallon batch. I don't know how Briess can call that stuff 'roasted barley', because it isn't. Make sure it is ground well too, I think JZ recommends using a blade grinder to get it fine enough. The hulls are already burnt to a crisp so it's not like you have to worry about shredding them.

According to the OP he used Roasted Barley 300 SRM not 500 SRM. I used the 300 as well. Might have to try the 500 next time, will have to wait and see how it tastes.

And here's the proof...:mug:

DSCF2540Small.jpg

DSCF2542Small.jpg

DSCF2553Small.jpg

You, sir, are a genius. I happened to have a baster just like that lying around and it works great.

I made 1 batch of this and it turned out great. It was not quite Guinness Draught but I liked it and gave it to several Guinness lovers and they all liked it. It was missing some of that roasted barley taste. I don't know if that was because it wasn't crushed enough or if I need to add more.

I plan to give this a 10 gallon batch very soon. Then 5 gallons are going to have coffee added in secondary. Anyone have any comments or thoughts on adding coffee to this.

I absentmindedly added .4lbs of acid malt to my grain bill versus the .25lbs.

Already milled. I guess i will report back but in a 10 gallon batch that isn't going to be too much is it? I have never used the stuff before.

Thanks.

Made my label already, now i need to brew it before January.
And yes I know this is the Foreign Export style label I used, but it's just so much cooler looking.

Guinnesque%2BLabel.png

Any thoughts on which grains to add to get the extra gravity to make this an extra stout instead of a draught?

Rut-Roh. Ordered from brewmasters' warehouse and I screwed up the recipe:

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 6 lb
---- Briess Flaked Barley 4.25 lb
---- Briess Roasted Barley 1.25 lb
Weyermann Acidulated 0.125 lb

How can I salvage this? Trying to get my St Paddy's day ducks in a row.

---- Kent Goldings, UK Pellets - Aroma/Flavor Hop 5.0% AA

3 oz

Rut-Roh. Ordered from brewmasters' warehouse and I screwed up the recipe:

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 6 lb
---- Briess Flaked Barley 4.25 lb
---- Briess Roasted Barley 1.25 lb
Weyermann Acidulated 0.125 lb

How can I salvage this? Trying to get my St Paddy's day ducks in a row.

That sucker's gonna have some BODY!

You could double everything else (2-row, Roasted Barley, Acid) and blend it thoroughly, then divide it in half. They you can have a St. Patty's Day stout and a Memorial Day stout.

Also, consider that Briess Roasted Barley is light...about 350L. Briess Black Barley (500L) is better to get the color you want. I wish Briess would change its naming procedures...very misleading. I used the 350L and ended up with a brown ale instead of a black.

I might just go ahead and brew it as-is.

I'm thinking about ordering some more 2 row and black barley now. What do y'all think about 2 recipes of:

6 lb 2 row
2.125 lb flaked barley
.625 lb roasted barley
.75 lb black barley
.125 lb acidulated malt

I think this recipe is supposed to use ~300srm roasted barley, but I've made it with 500srm as well and I liked it better darker.

You can do it, but it won't be at its peak. Just make sure to make a good sized starter and use yeast nutrient and give it a blast of O2 or really good aeration. If you are trying to rush it, you want your yeast in the best of health.

Brewed this up on Friday, but forgot to cut the hops in half along with the rest of the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch. Oops! Beersmith is saying it's going to be 60 IBU's. Guess that means I just need to brew it again.

Black IPA? Guinness is pretty dry, so that should be pretty bitter. Let us know how it comes out.

Also, consider that Briess Roasted Barley is light...about 350L. Briess Black Barley (500L) is better to get the color you want. I wish Briess would change its naming procedures...very misleading. I used the 350L and ended up with a brown ale instead of a black.

Same here...just tapped the keg and I've got a roasty brown ale because my LHBS gave me Briess Roasted Barley instead of Black Barley. Fortunately, it tastes great.

Moral of the story--watch them when they fill your order instead of hitting the sampling bar (my LHBS has 6 on tap at all times) and shooting the breeze with the other brewers.

First pour from my first kegged beer. Ode to Arthur...carbonation test.
2012-03-14%2B23.18.55.jpg

And what my fridge looks like now. Need to make room for one more keg.

2012-03-14%2B23.18.06.jpg

I brewed this up for St. Paddy's Day - minus the acid malt. I also only used 2oz of Goldings as mine were higher in AA%.

This is without a doubt one of the top three beers I've ever brewed. It is going to become a regular for sure (the first of the beers I've brewed so far to get that distinction).

Everyone at our St. Paddy's party loved it, even the non beer-drinkers or the "I don't usually like dark beers" types.

I'm going to cry when this keg kicks!

I brewed this up for St. Paddy's Day - minus the acid malt. I also only used 2oz of Goldings as mine were higher in AA%.

This is without a doubt one of the top three beers I've ever brewed. It is going to become a regular for sure (the first of the beers I've brewed so far to get that distinction).

Everyone at our St. Paddy's party loved it, even the non beer-drinkers or the "I don't usually like dark beers" types.

I'm going to cry when this keg kicks!

But it's a happy cry...

Brought a growler to a friend's place. Didn't last long...great recipe.
Thanks.

imagejpeg_3.jpg

Here's my (accidentaly) double hopped version. Scaled everything back for 5 gallons except the hops, woops!

Turned out GREAT though. I'm a fan of bitter beers and this hits the spot. Many of my friends find it undrinkable due to bitterness, but the few that are big into IPA's and bitterness absolutely love it.

IMG_8080.jpg

IMG_8082-1.jpg

brewed this twice...bottld the first batch and it is by far my favorite beer I have made....kegged the last batch and it is good but I evidently left something out because it tastes more like a nut brown...not even black just a dark brown....ugh

figured out what was different...first batch used the darker roasted unmalted barley.. last batch much lighter roasted barley...like the first MUCH better.

Latest posts

Back