First Time Kegging - Force Carb Pressure Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
Hey guys - first time racking into my keg tonight! Wow! So much better than bottling - awesome. But I'm left with a couple questions.

I racked it into the keg with the beer around 62 degrees. I pumped some CO2 in and bled off for a while to get rid of any air and oxygen. Now it's sitting in my chest freezer set around 37 degrees to cool off before hooking it back up to my co2.

I'm force carbing it - but this first time I would rather not do the shake method and instead just set it to the right pressure, leave it there for the duration. The scotch ale recipie calls for 1.5-2 volumes. I've targeted 1.8 in BeerSmith and it tells me to set the pressure at 3.5psi. However looking at this chart force carb chart it looks like I should be aiming for more like 5.5psi to hit that.

Which number should I go for and why are they different? Thanks!

Are you reading the chart right? They seem to be agreeing. I go to 37F and then to 1.84 and see 4psi. So 3.5 on that chart would give about 1.79 volumes of CO2.

I guess I wasn't reading it quite right....feel like a moron. I'll just set it to 4 and leave it for a couple weeks!

Thanks...I guess it's late...

Back