Another recipe critique request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
I guess you could call this an IBA. Shooting for moderately high IBU's and ABV, with noticeable malt backbone hop flavor/nose. It's on the low end of the color scale for a brown but other than that, whaddya think?

14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.83 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 6.35 %
6 oz Chocolate Malt Grain 2.4 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.48 %
2.1 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.77 %
1.25 oz Warrior [15 %] (60 min) Hops 50.0 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop) Hops -

1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale with starter

Est Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.6%
Bitterness: 50.0 IBU
Est Color: 21.0 SRM

Color
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16.88 lb
Sparge Water: 4.94 gal
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.28 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Seems like you would get a bigger OG than that, i almost would plan on a 9%er.Im not really shure how i feel about alot of crystal malt for alot of base malt. Ive used extract and an amount of crystal like this and thought it finished too high and was too malty sweet.I also didnt hop this much.But that was extract and partial mash.Depending on your yeast,looks like you have a high attenuator? Its interesting your using fuggles and willamette and are doing both with flavor addition, this recipe sounds interesting.
Im not shure how i feel about 0 additions anymore,i would half your 0 additions and use the other half to dryhopp, just because and How do you feel about FWH? Or maybe use the fuggles @0 and dry hop with the citra and willamette.
I would put more roasted barley and less crystal.

At almost 16% crystal malt, that would be way too high for me. I'd probably skip the nugget at 30 minutes, unless you feel you need it to balance the sweetness of all that crystal malt. I'd cut out the nugget, lower the crystal malt, and add some hops at 10 minutes and/or 5 minutes.

I would bump the 15 minute additions to 10 minutes, and as yooper suggested dump the 30 minute addition, it's a time frame which (in my opinion) doesnt do much for a beer. Also I agree with reduction of the crystal, maybe down to a pound.

Another thought is if you want a nice malt backbone (but without the cloying crystal malt), you could add some Munich malt in place of 2 pounds of crystal malt! That would be nice, and firm up the malt bill.

OK, I modified the recipe in the original post above. I made a 60 minute hop change to keep IBU's up. I dumped the 30 minute hop, dropped the crystal to 1 pound and added 6 oz of chocolate malt to get the color back up into brown territory. I don't know how I feel about FWH but I'll study up on it and see. I also may take the suggestion on moving the zero minute hops to dry hopping to get 2 oz of dry hopping. So, how is it looking now?

Unless he already knocked out his 30 min nugget that yooper sees, i dont see a 30 min nugget addition??????????????? Ha I also think munich may put you in a different beer taste,if you like munich go for it,sometimes i like it sometimes i can do without. If you like buscuit or victory you can also do some of that for toastedness. iN modest amounts.

Ok my bad,then, i say dont kill the nuggets and do some with bittering then, im just a nugget fan, even though they didnt want to grow in my backyard this year. But to the op: the willamette and fuggles are fairly the same,but Yooper has her preference, i wouldnt hesitate to use them together just for the experience but i would try to dry hopp maybe by splitting them up,. Just smell them and see what you think really before deciding.

Back