Dead Ringer IPA from NB, any experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierKoning

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm getting ready to order the Dead Ringer IPA from NorthernBrewer and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this kit? It gets really good reviews, but has anyone here brewed it themselves? Is it easy? Is it delicious? What would you compare it to?

Also, does anyone know what the original name for this was before it was changed to "Dead Ringer"?

Thanks!

It's a great kit but the NB recipe is a bit different from the Two Hearted recipe published in Zymurgy magazine a few months ago. In the magazine they interviewed the people at Bells and I remember being surprised about the recipe differences. The NB kit is still a good choice - regardless of the differences.

Here's a link to that thread.

It was called "Three Hearted Ale" before the name change.

The Dead Ringer is a clone of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Not sure if you get that out in CA, but it's a very good American IPA brewed in Mich. NB had to change the name after the threat of legal action from Bell's. Here's a funny article about the Cease & Desist letter to NB.

http://www.thelocalbeet.com/2011/04/01/beery-trademark-controversies/

I'm only one batch into the HB experience right now, my first was an Irish Red Ale from Midwest that's carbonating right now. I'm doing a Red Rye IPA from them next, but I've been looking at this kit from NB and thinking about doing it. Hope it turns out well for you.

I did the NB Dead Ringer earlier this year. It's very good even if it's not a perfect clone. Mine ended up quite a bit darker and not quite as crisp as THA but that's all due to my poor technique which I've been working on. I've just ordered ingredients for the THA recipe based on this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

Except that I'm going to use Amarillo instead of Centennial. I've even got a sixer of Bell's Amber that I plan to yeast harvest.

Back