Sanitizing Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

After having the third contaminated Batch , I'd like to see if I make the sanitizing Solution correctly .

I use " Povidone Iodine 10% " which is sold as " Betadine " in drugstores .

I use 1.25 mL of betadine for each Liter of Water .

I don't rinse with water after sanitizing .

Is that O.K. ?!

Hector

Sanitizer solution is just extra protection. Good sanitation means thorough washing with soap and water, and the sanitizer is just "insurance" that you washed your equipment well enough.

I'd use a bleach/water/vinegar solution instead of iodine. When mixed properly it is a safe and easy no-rinse sanitizer.

Use 30ml of plain unscented bleach, dissolve in ~ 19L COLD water, RINSE YOUR MEASURING DEVICE IN HOT WATER, add 30ml of vinegar.

Never mix vinegar and bleach directly. It will make chlorine gas. Only mix it when diluted with water.

The resulting mix should be active for about 4-8 hours, after which you should discard it. It needs a wet contact time of at least 30 seconds with whatever you're sanitizing. 2 minutes contact time is what the FDA recommends, but that's their minimum contact for any/every type of sanitizer, and is probably overkill.

Never used Iodine but have used Starsan since day one with no issues (knocking on wood) but seriously the stuff is like brew magic gold in bottle. I usually mix up 2 or so diluted gallons of the stuff for brew day and throw everything that needs to be sanitized in there, then at the end i fill up a spray bottle (about 1.5 liters) and keep that around until bottle/kegging and use for hydro readings, airlock and whatever else i'm uneasy about.

The proper dilution for iodine based sanitizers is 1 tbs/5 gallons for no rinse. I'm not sure how that translates to liters/

It is perfectly fine to use drugstore iodines, even dairy/farm grade iodine, which many of us have bought in bulk from tractor supply.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including iodine/iodophors here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

I'd recommend Starsan and really just focus on every step in your process after the wort is cooled to see where the contamination may be ocurring. I always have a bottle of diluted Starsan that I use and everything gets a shot of this, including the yeast packets, scissors to cut the packet, my hands, etc.

About a year ago, I had a problem where two or three consecutive batches got infected. First I bleached everything but then another contamination, so I soaked everything in starsan and again same thing. So I started from scratch and cleaned every piece of equipment in hot PBW for 6 hours followed by a good hot rinse and 10 minute soak in Starsan. Never had another issue. If you have a build up in a valve or some old yeast cake stuck in a hose, sometimes sanitizer isn't enough.

I use both starsan and one step but I tend to use the one step a little more just because the foam from the starsan can get very annoying. I know, (don't fear the foam) but man sometimes its just out of hand.

Using Iodophor is just fine - its a tested and proven sanitizer. I would follow Nuggethead's advice - take everything apart, clean it like a maniac, maybe even throw away your tubing and get new tubing. Then sanitize - doesn't matter if you use iodophor, star san, or bleach. Maybe switch up this time - perhaps you've got a bug that is resisting one of those. Or use multiple sanitizers. For example, bleach everything, rinse it well, and then use iodophor.

Good luck, Hector.

Or use multiple sanitizers. For example, bleach everything, rinse it well, and then use iodophor.

Good luck, Hector.

Bleach and Iodophor are the only Sanitizers available to me .

I can NOT use Bleach , because all my Equipments are made of Plastic .

I use plastic Water Jugs as the Fermenter and vinyl Tubes for racking .

Therefore , Iodophor is the only Option for me .

Hector

Bleach and Iodophor are the only Sanitizers available to me .

I can NOT use Bleach

We all have plastic, and though not optimal bleach can and has been an effective sanitizer for decades.

BUT if you truly have an infection, you really need to do an intervention, or as we call it a slash and burn. You're going to need to kill it off all the way.

The best way is with a bleach bomb. I would follow the recomendations of Charlie Talley, the inventor of Starsan and mix up a bleach concoction and run it through your entire system, ONCE.

One time with your setup won't hurt your plastic. Like I've said many folks have used it for their daily brewing sanitization regemine with good luck. So a one shot won't cause you harm.

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Then really the best followup would be to switch up your preferred sanitizer with another sanitizer on alternating batches. I do it every now and then, alternating between Starsan and Iorophor.

I started doing it a few years ago after my own infection issue, and then a few months later Chris Colby of BYO mentioned it as an aside comment on a basic brewing podcast.

It was kinda cool that something that "felt right" intrinsically got backed up by one of the big dogs.

To me it made sense, maybe because I work at the medical school and we talk about anitbiotic resistant infections...I thought if infections can mutate in our bodies to get around antibiotics, couldn't our brewing germs get to used to our environement and our sanitizing regimen as well.

For example I might mix up a batch of bulk farm grade "iodophor" (dairy sanitizer) on brew day, so all post boil stuff gets iodophor, but on bottling day I will use starsan. Then next batch I will switch up and use starsan on boil day and iodophor on bottling day....and then I might use all iodophor on both boil and bottle on the next batch. And starsan on the next. That way I am never following a set pattern, and hopefully not letting any germs adapt to one type of sanitiser. Or I might be dunking stuff in iodophor, but spritz my turkey baster and airlock bung with starsan in RO.

I believe it was mentioned in the "Fermenting in Kegs" podcast. Like I said it was a throwaway comment.

Clicky linky to listen.

You really will need to find an additional sanitizer to switch off on occasion, or switch outright.

Where do you live that you can't get starsan???? You are vague in your location.

Here's some more info I have posted about dealing with infections

And it's been backed up by a couple people, The Brewer at New Glarus, and The Aussies on Craft brewer radio.

On Craftbrewer radio they said it usually happens around the 10th, the 30th and the 50th batch...even the pro's deal with it (the Brewer at New Glarus said in an interview on Basicbrewing radio that a commercial brewery operation gets a 3 year grace period before their first infection)

Dan Carey of NG mentioned it somewhere in this podcast IIRC.

May 10, 2007 - Aging with Oak
Dan Carey, Brewmaster of New Glarus Brewing Company in New Glarus, Wisconsin, shares his tips on aging beer on oak chips and in oak barrels. http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr05-10-07newglarus.mp3

It's called a house germ...and it develops over time...

I got an infection around the 20th batch, I replaced my autosiphon, bottling wand and all my hoses and changed my sanitizer, in case the house germ was getting used to it... And it turned up in a batched being judged for a contest no-less. I talk about it here.

I entered my Porter in the ren fest contest last year....And it turned out that I had an infection in the beer...a late onset gusher infection that I later traced to my auto siphon.....

It sucked because I drank plenty of those beers (most of the cases) with no problem...but out of the last 6 were where the contest entries were, the batch was several months old...and I was home on the weekend of the judging, and when I opened one...right around the time I knew they were judging, I pretty much crapped in my pants...especially since I opened a second one and it gushed too....

I had a batch that was for several months, and only the last 6 pack were affected. traced it to the autosiphon (actually it was my fault I originally broke the tube at the bend, and just slapped the hose on it with a clamp and never dissasembled it.

It was a porter that had bottle gushers no less...during judging at a contest...I was lucky though I had two patient judges...they let the first one gush, then asked for the second...it gushed as well...but they let the gushing stop and actually judged the remaining beers...

AND THEY LOVED THE FREAKIN TASTE!!!!!

They said on my judging sheets that had it not gushed I would have prolly placed in the top 3...and they were stymied, because they wrote in my evals, that there were absolutely no off flavors..

The hosts of the podcast in Australia have 60 years of brewing experience...It's funny, but John Palmer learns from them they've been doing hpmebrewing radio for 6-7 years first on commercial than as a podcast...this is a very good discussion on infection and infection control.

They talk about the "timeframe" of infections, and how it is less likely for a first batch to be infected...it tends to occur around the 10th batch and the 50th...When the equipment gets more used up, and "house germs" start to build up. They used the term "house mouth" in the discussion, how we may not even notice, because we're sort of used to the taste of our beers, it's usually NOT a regular drinker of our beers that notices it.

December#2,2006

“What is sour mashing?” I hear you ask. So said our brewmaster as he guides you thru this most interesting of ways of making a beer. In a nice compact show, we also cover feedback, Kit and Kilo infections, our beer superhero turns “gay”, and a faviourite beer song is requested yet again. Not enough, well also hear about WHO stuffed up his brew day.

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/December2-06.mp3

But after I found the source of mine (in my autosiphon) I replaced it, got new hoses, thoroughly cleaned everything, and began alternating between Starsan and iodophor to keep ahead of any germs...I haven't had any more issues in a year.

It's nothing a new brewer should worry, and it's really no big deal if you catch it and zap it....BUT we have to be aware that our gear gets more use, has the potential to get scratched more than brand new, house things can develop, AND WE WHO HAVE BEEN BREWING FOR AWHILE can get a wee bit cocky or sloppy in our procedures.

Plus it doesn't hurt to replace some gear, especially hoses and maybe our bottling bucket spigot on occasionr...or at least break it down and clean it...Same with our autosiphon, and bottling wand...I now take them all apart and make sure there is no little bits of bio matter in any crevace. And it's a good idea to hand inspect any buckets for scratches or gouges.

But It is NOT something we have to freak out about, like new brewers do...It's just something to be AWARE of and keep an eye out.

But it's kinda like when you have a brand new car, you park at the far end of the lot away from everyone else, you are paranoid about getting every little scratch on it...Then you are backing out of the garage and take off a mirror, or get a ding on the bumper, then you no-longer stress out about it, because you've popped the cars cherry...If you do pick up a bug, you just treat it and move on. :mug:

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

There is a link to a great pdf on sanitization (which may have some good alternatives for you as a second sanitizer to switch up with other than starsan) and a discussion of the correct iodine/water ratios for effective usage.

I use a B/W/V sanitizer all the time on my plastic equipment. What is bad about that?

I thought it was just stainless steel that bleach was bad for.

I use a B/W/V sanitizer all the time on my plastic equipment. What is bad about that?

I thought it was just stainless steel that bleach was bad for.

The problem with using bleach on a regular basis, while at the same time using municipal water, certain minerals in whatever water you use and certain plastics, is that you could build up chloramines in your brewing systems, which could contribute to off flavors in your beer.

In some situations they work cumulatively by having little bits of chlorine in different parts of the brewing process that your beer may come in contact with, and it builds up and bammo plastic band aid flavor.

It's best to avoid chlorine as much as possible, and in the case of sanitizing ONLY in the most dire situations, like where you know for sure you have an infection.....we call it slash and burning.

I try to limit the amount of contact my gear comes to chlorine and chlorine products.

Chloramines are funny that way, some folks aren't affected, and in other situations the right combination causes issues.

And unfortunately my understanding is that folks have little control over is their setups can handle it. I've heard of folks being successful for years with it, then they replace one piece of gear like their autosiphon, or move and change water sources, or have new plumbing put in, and suddenly they have them now.

Thanks a lot for your Tipps !

As I said , Bleach and Iodophor are my only Options for sanitizing .

My Problem with Bleach is that the Equipments should be washed and

rinsed with HOT Water after using Bleach to get rid of the Chlorine .

I mean , using Hot Water on Plastic !!!

Hector

Hi there !

After having the third contaminated Batch , I'd like to see if I make the sanitizing Solution correctly .

I use " Povidone Iodine 10% " which is sold as " Betadine " in drugstores .

I use 1.25 mL of betadine for each Liter of Water .

I don't rinse with water after sanitizing .

Is that O.K. ?!

Hector

I've been using Iodophor with no problems. I've been diluting 1mL:1L water as per instructions on the bottle, so your dilution shouldn't be the issue

Thanks a lot for your Tipps !

As I said , Bleach and Iodophor are my only Options for sanitizing .

My Problem with Bleach is that the Equipments should be washed and

rinsed with HOT Water after using Bleach to get rid of the Chlorine .

I mean , using Hot Water on Plastic !!!

Hector

I've used hot water on my plastic fermentors. Not boiling hot but like 130 degree F water and have had no real adverse effects from it (no warping, cracking or plastic tasting beer). After watching an episode of Survivor Man and seeing Les Stroud boil water in a plastic bottle and drink it, I have no issues with using hot water on my plastics.

The problem with using bleach on a regular basis, while at the same time using municipal water, certain minerals in whatever water you use and certain plastics, is that you could build up chloramines in your brewing systems, which could contribute to off flavors in your beer.

So, the chloramines that form on/in the equipment aren't washed off when I wash them in hot water with soap?

Couldn't I treat the plastic with potassium metabisulfite if I notice a chloramine issue?

I've never had (noticeable) chloramine/chlorophenols in my beer, but maybe I can't detect low levels.

I've used hot water on my plastic fermentors. Not boiling hot but like 130 degree F water and have had no real adverse effects from it (no warping, cracking or plastic tasting beer). After watching an episode of Survivor Man and seeing Les Stroud boil water in a plastic bottle and drink it, I have no issues with using hot water on my plastics.

I saw somebody fry an egg on a piece of paper once. That has to do with transferring heat from flame to the liquid so it isn't absorbed by the plastic/paper/whatever. I don't think it's the same for pouring hot water into plastic (I've melted a few plastic containers pouring too-hot grease into them, for example). That said, I really don't think the kind of hot water for cleaning, out of the faucet presumably, would be hot enough to hurt anything anyway. I put plastic cups in the top rack of my dishwasher all the time and I've had some of those for many, many years now.

Back