44 Quart Kettle - Worth the money?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I'm looking at this kettle from Home Depot, any thoughts, good or bad?

Bayou Classic 44 Qt. Stainless Steel Fryer/Steamer Pot with Basket and Lid - 1144 at The Home Depot

6812623c-efb2-4693-9d50-b52aaefe90f0_300.jpg

It will be tough to do 10 gallon batches in the 11 gallon pot. The price seems a little high if you only need the pot (unless you want to dual use it for shrimp, crawfish, etc..).

I would wait until next weekend. After the holidays, a lot of company's slash the prices on them. You might even be able to get one that includes a burner. Also, check mulitple HDs, they carry different stuff.

I'll be doing 5 gallon batches in this pot, I should have mentioned that. I know everyone says you'll end up doing 10 gallons eventually, but I won't be brewing anything over 5 gallons, even when I jump to AG.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for discounts, but the HD pot listed is online only...

that seems pretty expensive... i saw a 8 gallon enamaled steel stock pot with basket at walmart just 2 days ago for less then 80$... you might look around, if you got the HD card and it makes the price mroe economical then go for it but other then that i would sugest looking around somemore, if your only doing 5 gallon batches 11 gallons of space seems kind of a waste and i would also hope you have an aux buner and not useing a stove top because to boil this much water on a regular stove burner would take a rather long time.

Cheers

I was thinking I could use the steamer pot to hold my grain bag for steeping specialty grains, that way I can keep the grains off the bottom of the pot.

I think these at waresdirect are nicer and less expensive. The 60 qt SS is the same price as the 44 qt Bayou Classic. They have a nice thick bottom. They come with a lid, but no strainer basket. I bought a 24 qt for making cheese. The 60 qt would be great for 10 gallon batches. The 40 qt would do well for 5 gallon batches.

I have a couple Bayou Classic pots and they work great. They are not heavy gauge but they're nice. I don't think I would use on my stove top for anything but water but I've never had a problem with my using them with my burner.

I don't have a basket but I think your idea of using it to hold you grain bag is pretty cool.

I think these at waresdirect are nicer and less expensive. The 60 qt SS is the same price as the 44 qt Bayou Classic. They have a nice thick bottom. They come with a lid, but no strainer basket. I bought a 24 qt for making cheese. The 60 qt would be great for 10 gallon batches. The 40 qt would do well for 5 gallon batches.

Thanks for the heads up on that site, I ordered the 40 quart pot, looking forward to full boils out in the cold!

See, this is why I like to get the input of the HBT peanut gallery. I always learn something, find out about a new place to shop, save money, and increase the size of my wiener! You guys are great.

I have that same pot. It is a fairly thin stainless. It is a decent pot but not worth $125 IMO. I think that price is regular retail. Perhaps I feel this way because I bought it dirt cheap. Only 20 bucks w/ burner and stainless stand, basket, lid and thermo. It was on clearance at Costco for $39, last one left, the display model was missing the propane hose, so the manager gave it to me for half off. I called the manufacturer to order a hose and the nice lady shipped it out N/C.

Back