Soda Help - Natural Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahNate

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here making soda using yeast for carbonation?

Ultimately I'd like to get a setup where I can force carb sodas, but for now I'm using yeast. My question is what yeast should I be using? For my last few batches I've used champagne yeast. They've had what I can only describe as an off flavor (especially on the belch) reminiscent of paint thinner or nail polish remover. With my most recent ginger ale/beer, that flavor is almost over the top. It's still drinkable, but not particularly pleasant. I want to avoid this off flavor in the future, but would still like to go the natural carb route until I can piece together a CO2 system.

Anyone have any thoughts? They'd be much appreciated...

I use yeast for my root beer. I also use the star brand champagne yeast. If you're not using Star brand champagne yeast, I would strongly recommend using it. It is very clean tasting, and works great. I use just a touch less than 1/4tsp per gallon. Hope this may help.

Thanks for the reply, Crazy8. I've been using Red Star champagne yeast (the stuff comes in yellow sachets). Not sure if that's the brand you were talking about, but it sounds like it. I also use a bit less than 1/4 of a tsp per gallon. I've been using the smaller plastic Coke bottles (~16 oz) and also glass (gasp!) bottles and the taste has been present regardless of the vessel chosen to contain the soda. I sanitize with Star San so I don't think sanitation was an issue. I'm starting to think it was the recipe... I did use quite a bit of ginger, probably a little over a pound in a gallon batch. I <3 the ginger bite!

I'm just guessing here but yeah it could be the recipe. When i very first started I was using a bakers yeast, then I tried Coopers and 2 other brewing yeasts. Then i was told about the Star brand yeast, same stuff you're using, and its been great.

I don't drink any more but even when i did I couldn't drink beer. Absolutely hate the taste of beer and it makes me sick. Well the other brewers yeasts would make my root beer taste like beer. The Star champagne yeast is supper clean. I also have two solid recipes and in both of them I don't have any weird tastes from the yeast.

But maybe you could still experiment either with your recipe or with the yeast. Maybe that yeast is doing something weird because of something in the recipe?

But maybe you could still experiment either with your recipe or with the yeast. Maybe that yeast is doing something weird because of something in the recipe?

I'm discouraged, but not enough to quit making soda. :D I'll definitely be playing with the proportions in my recipe. Thanks for the tips.

Try carbonating a batch of sugar water with the yeast, then you'll know if it's the yeast or the recipe.

Thats a great idea. I totally forgot about that. I have done used the same method for testing yeast and making sure it was active and still good. :)

Back