Any hunters out here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
Getting ready for bow season here in FL. Primarily bow and traditional black powder hunter myself.

Like me some good beer, friends and fresh venison!

I wish I had more time to get into bow hunting... Really getting the itch. May need to run the dog to see if we can kick up some cockbirds...

Got a pup (1 yr 2 mo) that was too young to hunt last year but I cannot wait for this years hunt, I have never seen a dog as "birdy" as he is. Grouse opens in 2 weeks, but I have to buy pheasants until the hunt opens in November.

I was an avid bow hunter for quite a few years until time constraints and then an injury put an end to it. I'm still an avid rifle and shotgun hunter though. I hunt mostly on private land in upstate NY, but occasionally do black powder with my uncle on Ft. Dix in NJ. I'm 3 for 3 with BP! Literally only fired the gun 3 times in my life and all three shots dropped deer!

As crazy as it sounds, I miss squirrel hunting on my grandparents farm. They had a grove of hickories that just had squirrels! Some of the best eating too... My CZ 513 is a tack driver and its nothing to sit in that grove and limit out a few times a year.

I need to find some people to drag my ass out on some waterfowl hunts in the sleughs here. I've been in SD two hunting seasons now and have only hunted pheasants... I'm in prime waterfowl territory!

Wish I had time to take up bowhunting. I love black powder, and I think I could really get into recurve bows. I grew up hunting with my dad, but have spent the last 15 years teaching more than hunting myself - first my wife, then my first son. I'll take my second son out this season with me. I love hunting, but most times I could care less if I get a shot or not.

As crazy as it sounds, I miss squirrel hunting on my grandparents farm. They had a grove of hickories that just had squirrels! Some of the best eating too... My CZ 513 is a tack driver and its nothing to sit in that grove and limit out a few times a year.

I need to find some people to drag my ass out on some waterfowl hunts in the sleughs here. I've been in SD two hunting seasons now and have only hunted pheasants... I'm in prime waterfowl territory!

Yeah do it, I got into waterfowl two years ago and wish I'd had done it earlier. It's definitely a rush waiting for the birds to come closer... closer...closer them some one yells Get em boys and up pop all three of us. Fun times, but early man, I grouse hunt to be able to sleep in at least some days during the season.

We have quite a while yet! For deer, bow season opens October 1. Firearm opens November 15.

I hunt a few grouse- season opens September 15- but not that many. I'm usually pretty busy with the garden harvest and stuff until bow season opens so I don't hunt small game very often at all.

I've been fortunate every year- getting a deer with my bow as well as with my rifle every year in recent memory. I love bowhunting, and really enjoy that more than rifle hunting.

Yooper said:
We have quite a while yet! For deer, bow season opens October 1. Firearm opens November 15.

I hunt a few grouse- season opens September 15- but not that many. I'm usually pretty busy with the garden harvest and stuff until bow season opens so I don't hunt small game very often at all.

I've been fortunate every year- getting a deer with my bow as well as with my rifle every year in recent memory. I love bowhunting, and really enjoy that more than rifle hunting.

You can do both in a year? I hate you silently

Dove season opens next weekend here in Georgia! I can't wait. Not sure when deer season opens for rifles, but it'll be a couple months. I still have some venison I need to use up from last year's harvest. Guess I better get on that!

Haven't bagged a deer with my bow for a few years, but that's pretty fine by me. If it was between turkeys and every other game animal out there, I'd pick turkeys every single day of the year.

We got our caribou already and are going out for moose this week, use rifle mostly but I like to pick ptarmigan and grouse on the wing with a shotgun. Getting set for winter and watching the mountain tops for termination dust.

Hell yeah, BEERS, BABES, and BUCKS.
Thats me and my buddies motto when it comes to our yearly hunting trip in Oregon.

Here is pic of my best buck from last season. Nice deer for FL.

SUMMER 2012 079.jpg

SUMMER 2012 080.jpg

Just got me a small buck this past Wednesday right at last light. Gonna be in the woods again tomorrow and brewing on Sunday!

I'm going to be out antelope hunting Sunday. Elk hunting the weekend of October 20th an then hunting mulies in a limited draw area the last week of October. Love the fall!

The kids with cousins first antelope a couple weeks ago! What a blast:

image-1873566889.jpg

My best antelope:

image-1650257538.jpg

My best mulie and another good goat:

image-1195973546.jpg

Happy Hunting Brewers!!!

Season is starting off good so far!
Now if I just teach Bojangles to be a tracking dog rather than a young nuscience (sp?).

IMG_6787.jpg

Went out antelope hunting today with my boy and uncle. Great day! Clear blue skis, wind wasn't too bad and we scored two great bucks! My uncles was 15" plus and ours was smaller but that didn't matter! I had it in my head that we were taking one today for my boy and it went incredible! It's not a huge buck at all but jes very nice!

First trip out on a stock and kill for the little guy!. He was so pumped and I think he's hooked for life! That's what it's all about!!!! Yeah Buddy!.....Oh, I dry hopped my Centennial IPA last night. MMMMMM!!!!

image-3990597128.jpg

Those of you who do black powder, I'm assuming you are going percussion cap and minie ball?

As a former reenactor, I think 60 grains and a .58 minie should be pretty good for anything smaller than a moose and larger than a dire wolf ;-).

Personally, I would love to go hunting again (not too many opps for that in Queens), but more on the butchering and cooking side. I enjoy shooting targets (though Im not a marksman) and I have zero problem converting a full animal into pretty cuts of meat, but for whatever reason pulling the trigger on a live critter gives me pause. Weird right.

Elk and Deer hunter here. Typically we go for black powder season which is the second week of September here in Colorado. Came up empty this year but still had an excellent trip. The western slopes of Colorado have some of the most beautiful scenery I could ever imagine. I didn't take this picture but this is the view I see from the spot where I typically stop and have breakfast in the morning.
mosely-ridge-56674.jpg

Those of you who do black powder, I'm assuming you are going percussion cap and minie ball?

As a former reenactor, I think 60 grains and a .58 minie should be pretty good for anything smaller than a moose and larger than a dire wolf ;-).

Debating with myself real hard this yr. about going inline. Looking in earnest at that T/C Encore system or if I can find a Savage ML10.

All my other BP guns are T/C cap and ball or flint lock. Got them as kits and built them up i.e. .32 Cherokee, .36/.45 Seneca, .50/.54 Hawken (cap & flint) and .54 Renegade (cap/flint).

Normally hunt with the .50 Hawken w/ 80gr of 3F topped with hand cast 370 gr Maxi-Hunter with Bore Butter. Get about 1250 FPS @ ~1300 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Proven deer & hog slayer for sure.

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house" :D

This weekend I am heading to the national forest for small game. I have mastered how to hunt ruffed grouse without a dog; fortunately the same technique also works for squirrel and rabbit.

:mug:

Here's one I got a couple weeks ago chase in does with a bow. 230lb 8 pt. Looking forward to harvesting a couple more to fill the freezer.

image-1771924594.jpg

I'm going next week, bringing a "whitetail Ale and amber ale" for deer camp. I still have to reload my rounds for the hunt. I can't wait to get some meat in the freezer. I didn't get one last year and really missed it.

I went bowhunting on Election day morning. It was only my second time out this year (sucks). Right as the sun was coming up I saw a buck crossing the field about 500 yards away, I grunted 3 times and he stopped and then turned and ran right to me. I dropped him at 23 yards. He should have of been a nice 8 pointer but he broke off part of one side. I was happy though, it was the biggest bodied deer I ever shot, had to be 200 or more. I was home by 9am.
Our shotgun/muzzleloader season starts this Saturday. I had the TC Omega out yesterday for a little practice.This is probably my last deer season in NY, I'm hoping to take up pig hunting when I get to Florida.

Got me a nice big doe today from my tree stand with my .30-'06. First deer in 4 years, I'm a happy camper. My friend took a small buck on the same hunt. It's nice to have two deer hanging outside!

Good luck to everyone.

Congrats to all of you who were successful this year. I took a nice doe yesterday morning with my .54 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle w/round ball. Now for the important part...cooking it up!

Back