Krausen Blow Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tvc15

Reaction score
I had my first krausen blow out. The Wyeast german ale 1007 filled the headspace and went through the airlock, looks like I lost about 12-18 oz. of sticky foamy krausen mess. Will this effect the outcome of the brew?

Tips please, thanks!

(Temp was about 68°, 5 gallons, 1 liter yeast starter)

nope, won't affect the flavor. welcome to the club, as most of us have had a blowout in our brewing careers. clean it all up, add a blowoff tube to your next brew, and relax

My first was with my Belgian Dubbel... It was my first adventure with a yeast starter and wasn't anticipating it to pop the airlock in less then 12 hours. Thankfully it just kept foaming and nothing got in

Yup. I just had my first not too long ago. However, cleaning up that mess was enough to convince me to always use blow-off tubes for the first part of fermentation (until it settles down a bit). I've learned to RDWHAHB (I think - we'll find out next 'crisis').

As for tips - starsan soaked paper towels, a spray bottle with starsan, and something to set the fermenter in (like a tub, etc - keeping it off the floor) help keep the floor cleaner (in case of a leak / blowout), and make cleaning up pretty easy. The spray bottle of starsan is great - really helps in cleaning up / sanitizing any mess.

WoodJRx said:
Yup. I just had my first not too long ago. However, cleaning up that mess was enough to convince me to always use blow-off tubes for the first part of fermentation (until it settles down a bit). I've learned to RDWHAHB (I think - we'll find out next 'crisis').

As for tips - starsan soaked paper towels, a spray bottle with starsan, and something to set the fermenter in (like a tub, etc - keeping it off the floor) help keep the floor cleaner (in case of a leak / blowout), and make cleaning up pretty easy. The spray bottle of starsan is great - really helps in cleaning up / sanitizing any mess.

Milk crates work great. Not too expensive on amazon and are great for transporting. Prevent the Better Bottle Back Suck too

Latest posts

Back