strike water temp calc's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
Im on my 4 all grain right now and for the life of me and can never hit my strike temp. my procedure is to add hot water to an unheated tun and stir in grains. if i wanted to to hit 153 how hot should the water be is there an average. out of 4 attempts 3 have been to high and one to cool

There are about a million online calculators. Have you tried them? Your strike water is going drop 10-15 degrees as you stir everything in the tun. The exact number depends on a lot of variables though.

There are calculators online, but I'd recommend purchasing a brewing software. It will calculate this for you. I bought Brew Pal for iPhone. It was $1.99. WELL worth it.

I normally need my strike water to be about 10 degrees higher than my desired mash temp. I use hopville's beercalculus and the temps listed always work for me. I heat my strike water 10 degrees higher than it needs to be (so 20 degrees higher than desired mash temp) and let it rest until it is about 1-2 degrees higher than I want my strike temp. Then I dough in and stir until I get my desired temp from several areas of the cooler. Works like a charm every time. Pre-heating this way will make sure you don't lose much heat during your mash.

OClairBrew said:
I normally need my strike water to be about 10 degrees higher than my desired mash temp. I use hopville's beercalculus and the temps listed always work for me. I heat my strike water 10 degrees higher than it needs to be (so 20 degrees higher than desired mash temp) and let it rest until it is about 1-2 degrees higher than I want my strike temp. Then I dough in and stir until I get my desired temp from several areas of the cooler. Works like a charm every time. Pre-heating this way will make sure you don't lose much heat during your mash.

+1, this is the exact process I use as well. Works like a charm. If in doubt, aim a little high...then stir until your temp comes down.

My set up was quickly dialed in after a few batches.
5 gallon beverage cooler: Typically the strike water is near 168 degrees for a mash temp of 152 degrees plus or minus depending on recipe.
Equipment and ingredients are stored and used in the basement, I don't preheat the mash tun.

Back