LHBS Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
The only semi-local HBS is about a 90 min drive from my house. I rarely make it to town, perhaps only 3-4 times a year, but always stop and place a sizeable order (+/- $150). Last time I was in, I purchased a bunch of grain, several packages of yeast, lots of hops, and some other misc.
When I stopped by yesterday, I just needed to stock up on some more hops. The owner, who still doesn't know my name after 2 years of shopping there, refused to sell me any hops due to the "shortage". He said he would only be selling hops to those who were purchasing other ingredients for one of "his" recipes. I reminded him of my previous purchases totaling more than $500 this year, including some kegging gear. His response was "Well, thats my new policy, I have to take care of my regulars"........WTF??? Any other shops taking this stance? I walked away empty handed, boiling mad, and vowing to never step foot in that shop again. What the hell happened to customer service?:mad:

People are just going crazy. I went yesterday to pickup some stuff and the guy was telling me how someone came in and tried to buy 32 1 oz packages of hops.

I'd tell him I was sorry too. I would apologize for not spending $500 more dollars with him more in the future for being such an a$$hole, and let him know how convenient it is to order online and everything come to you. Home brew shops are typically come and go in my opinion, the ones that stay are the ones that cater.

Yea that guys sounds like a jerk - the local brewshop I go to is pretty good I have to say they are always trying to lend a helping hand. Then again there are quite a few local shops in my city so theres alot of competition so they ahve to be nice :)

As for the hops thing - I think some people are blowing it way out of wack.... some styles will be hard to get but it is not like there are not going to be any hops at all. They will just cost a wee bit more

grasshopper1917 said:
Yea that guys sounds like a jerk - the local brewshop I go to is pretty good I have to say they are always trying to lend a helping hand. Then again there are quite a few local shops in my city so theres alot of competition so they ahve to be nice :)

As for the hops thing - I think some people are blowing it way out of wack.... some styles will be hard to get but it is not like there are not going to be any hops at all. They will just cost a wee bit more
Where are you shopping at?

Actually, the closest LHBS to me just told me they are only selling hops with their extract kits. I rarely shop there since they have low selection and high prices. That is one more reason not go there. I have 4 others to choose from.

I'm going to go devil's advocate here...

Austin Home Brew Supply, my favourite OHBS, is still selling hops but it's also very clear that a portion of his hops are already earmarked for kits.

It only makes sense that your local supplier, who DEPENDS on local business, would keep some of his supply tucked away for regular, repeat customers.

I was in my LHBS this weekend and some guy was buying a few pounds of various hops and I overheard him commenting that he's been "stocking up" - come to find out that he drove almost 2 hours after his LHBS refused to sell him more hops. If they sold all of their hops to non-local customers which deprived me, I'd never spend another dime there... The entire reason I do at all is because it's a local business.

Kevin Dean said:
The entire reason I do at all is because it's a local business.

Exactly my point. I don't usually buy online because I like to keep my money as local as possible. Same reason I don't buy stuff at the mega marts or chain restaurants. I drove 180 miles round trip at $4.00/gallon to spend in his shop when I could have purchased it online for much cheaper. Just because I can't drop by every couple of weeks doesn't mean I'm not a regular customer. His loss in my opinion, though I will miss the great selection of commercial brews he had.

Kubed said:
Just look at this as your official welcome to the world of online shopping.

I guess so. After $100 at Freshhops.com, $200 at Morebeer, and a new BarleyCrusher I won't have to buy anything else for a year, not to mention that my wife and kids won't have to do any Christmas shopping for me:D

I've been going to an HBS for just under a year now and have spent about as much as you have. When I walk in the door the owner is happy to see me and calls me by name. I can't possibly imagine that he'd refuse to sell me some hops or anything else. He appreciates the business and I appreciate his business. Your guy must be swimming in customers to be treating you like that. You might as well order online. He doesn't need you and you don't need him.

My LHBS is only selling 3oz at a time if you're not buying "a full recipe" which I assume to mean grain (or extract) and yeast. They told me their supplier will only sell them 20oz at a time, and the supplier does the packaging so they can't guarantee accurately weighted bags. They told me they're looking for a new guy, but the only one they've found so far has them at #178 on his waiting list.

They are a homegrow shop as well, so maybe next time I'm there I'll recommend they grow their own. They have indoor gardens in their store.

Granted, he could have handled this exchange better but just put yourself in his shoes for a second...you're looking to stock up on hops to brew future beers and he is looking to try and protect his business through a bad supply time.

Yes, an experienced brewer that runs multiple batches a year is a steady stream of purchases but truth be told you know will order from other suppliers, keep brewing & then you will be back. Even if you don't come back for regular stuff there are always brew-day purchases.

But what about the noob that walks in off the street (or the occasional brewer) for the first time looking for a starter kit, recipe kit and advise? If you lose that sale, you might lose that future brewer too.

...just saying I can see both sides of this.

I agree he should have handled it differently. I can see why LHBS are wanting to keep their hops for kits though. If they refuse to sell hops by itself, they lose out on that hops purchase. However, if they don't have any for kits, they lose out on grain/*ME, yeast and hops plus whatever miscellaneous items a brewer might have purchased with the kits.

I can understand the business practice but not the customer service attitude.

Its a crappy situation and one that I think is being blown out of proportion to a degree. I agree with the above poster that it makes business sense to keep hops for kits but he should have explained this to you and offered you at least an apology or at most a discounted kit :)

Look at your original message though:

ScoutMan said:
Last time I was in, I purchased a bunch of grain, several packages of yeast, lots of hops, and some other misc.

Good customer!
ScoutMan said:
When I stopped by yesterday, I just needed to stock up on some more hops.

Now, would you have made that $150 purchase - and come back again - if he were out of hops? He has to make sure that the next guy who relieves him of a bag of grain and yeast can have hops available. He's trying to prevent you from hording hops and driving his business to other sources. He's protecting himself from a potentially bad situation.

gonzoflick said:
I agree with the above poster that it makes business sense to keep hops for kits but he should have explained this to you and offered you at least an apology or at most a discounted kit
Why does he deserve a discount?

If you're just looking to buy hops than you're trying to prevent people who are planning on brewing today from getting the hops they need.

Sure, his attitude sucks, but he's probably sick of pissing off customers who want to buy a product he himself is having a hard time purchasing.

My local homebrew shop is incredible. The little old couple that own it speak with a thick german accent. Their prices and selection are great.

The last time I was in I bought enough for an AG batch, paid and left. I got out to the car and remembered that I wanted a couple of mesh bags to strain hops. Not a high ticket item, but when she saw me come back in, she asked what I had forgotten, grabbed 3 or 4 of them, handed them to me and then refused to take money. "Don't vurry about it" she said, "Pay me next time".

Like I said, only a buck or so, but she could easilly have rung them up. It's the little things!

P.S. They just raised the prices of their hops. I am OK with that. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Gas stations don't put a sign up saying "regulars only". They raise the prices!! Isn't it about time to brew a Lager with very little hops anyways?Like a Munich Helles or something? Supply and demand. Not "regulars"....what BS.

I was at mine a few months ago and bought two 50 pound sacks of grain, a bunch of specialty, some yeast and hops and they gave me a free t-shirt. I love my LHBS. I buy from them as often as possible, although I buy most of my hops online.

Cheesefood said:
I was at mine a few months ago and bought two 50 pound sacks of grain, a bunch of specialty, some yeast and hops and they gave me a free t-shirt. I love my LHBS. I buy from them as often as possible, although I buy most of my hops online.

Are you now selling that shirt?lol, sorry couldn't help it!

Hey Mr. X - I go to the noble grape over on lacewood. The guy that is usually there when I go is a pretty good lad - I find they have a good selection for what I do.

Where do you like to go to?

Cheesefood said:
If you're just looking to buy hops than you're trying to prevent people who are planning on brewing today from getting the hops they need.

Not true at all. I'm not looking to prevent anyone from anything. I am however, trying to keep myself brewing through the winter and into spring when I make my next trip to town. People who live close to goods and services have the ability to stop at the LHBS on brew day to pick up last minute supplies. I need to plan ahead, knowing that if we get a good winter, I may not make it to town for 4months or more.

grasshopper1917 said:
Hey Mr. X - I go to the noble grape over on lacewood. The guy that is usually there when I go is a pretty good lad - I find they have a good selection for what I do.

Where do you like to go to?
I like the Noble Grape in Burnside, but I would like to find a place selling cheaper bulk malt. 69.99 for pilsner is way high. I'm trying to get to a Brewnosers meeting and touch base with some other people. They are having one at Garrison brewing tonight but I'm out of town.

Hey, whilst that's a pretty annoying situation to get it atleast you know that you can order online. If my LHBS wasn't as great as it is I'd pretty much have no choice, considering the closest place that I could buy online would have to be shipped from Australia and god knows how long that would take. Luckily I don't think that's ever going to be a problem, the LHBS I go to is pretty much one of the only brew shops in the City and even though I've only been there about 3 or 4 times over the past year the guy just about remembers my name already. Not to mention the awesome points system there is, where for every dollar's worth of stuff you get gives you one point, and after a certain amount of points you get free grain or hops or something. I've been meaning to ask more about it :D, maybe when I go tomorow.

mr x said:
I like the Noble Grape in Burnside, but I would like to find a place selling cheaper bulk malt. 69.99 for pilsner is way high. I'm trying to get to a Brewnosers meeting and touch base with some other people. They are having one at Garrison brewing tonight but I'm out of town.

Isnt Garrison building a new brewery on the water? Maybe its done by now..... I've tried a couple of Garrison beers - the Nut Brown Ale and Stout - I didnt care too much for either. They were my least favorite of the local micro brewed stuff.

Ohhh that brewnosers group still exists?? Ill have to check out one of them meetings one time. Wouldnt mind sampling some of the other homebrew out there!

mr x said:

I have delt with them also. Great bunch of guys. Went out of their way
to make sure a sack of grain came my way ( for which my LHBS didn't charge
me any shipping, as it was piggybacked on an order from Spangnols to my LHBS, Isn't my LHBS great?)

Back