Your LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KirbyTails

Reaction score
Am I the only one who seems to live near an unhelpful LHBS? Everybody I've spoken to agrees with me on this one - they're kind of a bunch of ********. I mean, they'll help you if you ask for it, but they always act like it's a major inconvenience.

I have 2 in my area, one is like that, the other is awesome. The guys will spend an hour with me tweaking recipes, mash/hop schedules and water chemistry, or just chat about new beers we've tried or aquired recently.

Needless to say which one I frequent.

That's awesome. I think I'll probably just end up ordering online most of the time, seeing as "local" is kind of a loose term anyways when you live in Wyoming... :p

Lol, ya, the goos store is much closer than the bad one. They got irritated when I didnt order my recipe ahead of tme, like i was supposed to know that never having gone there before.

My LHBS is great, but I have been in other local stores that are as you describe. Never understood how someone could run a business and not recognize that being an A-hole is not a good strategy. Any time I run into that attitude, I am "one-and-done" with that store/business/bar, etc.

About a year ago a new LHBS opened up in my area. I didn't hate the much more established store that I had been going to, but there were a few occasions where the employee would act annoyed when I didn't know where they kept things or how certain help-yourself stuff (like their grain mill) worked. Since going to the new store I haven't been back to the old one. 90% of the time the guy working is the owner and he's a nice guy who has been great about answering questions and is very helpful with ingredients and substitution suggestions.

I live in a Homebrewshop mecca, and almost all of them are helpful. And well stocked. There's at least 6 that I can think of in a 45 minute drive in one direction or another from where I live.

I have 2 in my area, one is like that, the other is awesome. The guys will spend an hour with me tweaking recipes, mash/hop schedules and water chemistry, or just chat about new beers we've tried or aquired recently.

Needless to say which one I frequent.

That is how the Homebrew Den in Tallahassee is...Great store! :D

We only have 1 and though small, they are knowledgeable and very helpful.

I own a small retail store (not beer related) and I have to admit that sometimes, when I have a bad day, I have a hard time hiding it and I hope my customers don't think it's them. It's hard to turn off and act happy sometimes and maybe, just maybe, this is the treatment the OP got. Maybe you should just ask them outright if they want your business. If someone treats me like an ******* more than once, they deserve some assholeness right back at them.

I have two homebrew shops within a 15 min. drive from me and both of them seem to be helpful in their own way. One of the shops is a bit high on the pricing of their stuff but I always go there for little odds and ends type stuff because they will likely have it. The other shop is a bit better on pricing but can be hit or miss on ingredients, typically parts and hops are their weaknesses. Both shops are generally helpful but the second has two polar opposite sides. One of the employees is so helpful if you need it but even if you don't, he will talk your ear off for a minimum of a half hour for even the shortest intended visits. The other guy on the other hand is helpful but only if you can look past the *****ebaggery that he cant seem to help but give off when you ask him even the simplest of questions.

We only have one in town and while eager to help not very knowlegable. And they don't carry Wyeast, only WL. One plus is they are open 7 days a week.

My LHBS is great, but I have been in other local stores that are as you describe. Never understood how someone could run a business and not recognize that being an A-hole is not a good strategy. Any time I run into that attitude, I am "one-and-done" with that store/business/bar, etc.

If you ever work in corporate America you quickly see its the a-holes who seem to get promoted, so perhaps it is a good strategy.

As far as the couple I frequent, one is overpriced but for that you get helpful staff and a solid selection of oddball yeasts and sacks of continental malts. The other has a poor selection in comparison, but has excellent bulk grain prices and help that is always willing, just not always able.

About a year ago a new LHBS opened up in my area. I didn't hate the much more established store that I had been going to, but there were a few occasions where the employee would act annoyed when I didn't know where they kept things or how certain help-yourself stuff (like their grain mill) worked. Since going to the new store I haven't been back to the old one. 90% of the time the guy working is the owner and he's a nice guy who has been great about answering questions and is very helpful with ingredients and substitution suggestions.

I completely agree with you. There is only one person who works at the more established shop that is actually willing to help without having a "why are you bothering me" type of attitude. My home is closer to this shop, but I will go out of my way to support the new shop because they are extremely helpful and friendly.

There are now two in my area- the original "Blockader" is great, the guy who runs it can be a bit opinionated, but he knows his stuff and is always willing to help. The new shop was opened by the same folks who run a couple of outstanding bottle shops in town, problem is their emloyees don't know much about home brewing - which is bit problematic.

There are two stores I use.

One has an incredible team that love to help in anyway they can, but they are overpriced on just about everything.

The other has the cheapest bulk grain prices around but are extremely condescending and the way they act towards me (and a few others I have talked to) seem to pretty much not want customers. It is strange because they host one of the larger Brew Clubs in WA.

I'm usually pretty broke but other than buying grain my money will ALWAYS go to the more expensive store simply for their great service and friendly atmosphere.

I completely agree with you. There is only one person who works at the more established shop that is actually willing to help without having a "why are you bothering me" type of attitude. My home is closer to this shop, but I will go out of my way to support the new shop because they are extremely helpful and friendly.

Would either of you mind PMing me the name of the good store? I ask because I may be moving to the SLC area this year.

I have the best LHBS in the midwest. "The Homebrewery" it is advertised in all the brew mags and they have great kits of yours what you brew. Also grain and anything for wine,beer and Cheese. The guys and Gals are all great it has been open since 1982. The only place I get my stuff.
Just had them order me hinged false bottoms no fus, they order and call me when it comes in. And a reward point program that gives back. Any one that orders they ship all the time. Give them a chance I'm sure that you will love it as I do.

Gameface said:

yup, cody's a good guy :mug:

I work part time at my LHBS and love helping new brewers learn and understand the process, tweak recipes, understand different malts and styles. I have also been to a few other stores that suck ass! The people there seem annoyed by questions. So if your in or around Chicago check out Bev-Art!

i've only been to one lhbs and i've had only positive experiences. prices are, for the most part, excellent for ingredients. they have a good selection, minus some of the more difficult to locate hops (which are hit or miss there). besides my initial visit i don't ask much of them, just ring me up once i'm done grabbing everything i need and/or point out where something i need is located. they've done that pleasantly enough and always showed a mild interest in what i'm brewing. it's just the street from my work so super convenient to head over there on a lunch break.

There is a lhbs about 40 minutes from me that used to be the only choice. I went there once and wasn't treated well, I didn't know you could crush your own grain so I asked for assistance. He acted like I asked him to give me a kidney, not only that but told me the recipe I had was garbage (ed's bavarian hefe from here).

Luckily a new shop opened in ogden that I use for everything, owner told me about the hops direct sale even to save me money since he is expensive on hops. I go in for a packet of yeast and end up bsing with him and his wife for over an hour.

I have one like that, and one that has awesome customer service. You can guess which one I go to.

The closest LHBS to me has annoyed me lately. They are always trying to "downsell" me on something, or start a "this vs. that" debate. I walk in for a glass fermenter, they try to sell me plastic. I walk in for liquid yeast, they try to sell me dry packets. etc.

So I started shopping around (there's 4 or 5 within an easy drive from me). I found one that is fantastic, I drive out of my way and spend a little more $$ because they are friendly,helpful and not argumentative.

Like someone else suggested, open your own LHBS. Or order online. Never give stores with bad customer service your business!

:mug:

There are two in my area. One is great with a very helpful and friendly owner. The other is allright but the owner is a little weird.

I live in a Homebrewshop mecca, and almost all of them are helpful. And well stocked. There's at least 6 that I can think of in a 45 minute drive in one direction or another from where I live.

I've probably got that many within 20 minutes or so from my house. The Portland metro area must have 10, 12, maybe 15 by now. I've used 4 of them and there is only one where I refuse to spend any money. I honestly don't think the woman who owns/works there understands the concept of being nice to customers so they come back. Anyone on the Eastside of Portland can probably identify which one I am talking about.

The biggest store in Portland has lousy hours, but is the "go to" place for something hard to find if you want to purchase it locally. Its a little more expensive, though.

Another is also a U-brew and has its own little brew pub. Good prices, also. $36 for a 50 pound bag of 2-row.

I try to support a guy who just opened a shop a year ago in Gresham (east of Portland). Small shop and a little expensive, but helpful and friendly people. It is also a bottle shop with a pretty good selection, including 10 or 11 beers on tap (keezer in the back room) and a little courtyard where they sometime have live music. Biggest problem is getting to be the number of people who come in just for a beer rather than homebrew ingredients or equipment!

I have 2 locals that I use and one that I have never been to, but the feedback I hear is positive. One that is great, a little pricey but they are helpful. One that they act like they have no interest in my business. It stinks that your local isn't the best, but if they are that bad you can always buy online.

Am I the only one who seems to live near an unhelpful LHBS? Everybody I've spoken to agrees with me on this one - they're kind of a bunch of ********. I mean, they'll help you if you ask for it, but they always act like it's a major inconvenience.

Posts like this never cease to amaze me. I always feel bad for folks whose only LHBS seems to be run by A holes. How can somebody with that kind of mentality open a HBS? People like that obviously just haven't got a clue. That's just the opposite of what you need to do in the homebrew business. I'm lucky I guess since I live minutes from a great LHBS so I have to give him a little plug: http://www.blackstonevalleybrewing.com/

This is pretty comon in a lot of specialty stores. I've run into other places with similar attitudes. Wherever there is a high-end hobby that requires extensive knowledge you get these guys in business. You have people who are the only game in town and know it. They look down their noses at their customers, who they feel aren't as knowledgable as they are. They probably got into the business because they enjoy the activity they represent, but don't have the people skils to do it right.

I've run into it with homebrew shops, SCUBA stores, high-end bike shops, and boating stores. It really is aggrevating.

There is an very good store in Buffalo, NY. They have a decent selection. The prices are a little high, but not crazy-high.
There is a young guy who runs it. He's very knowledgable and helpful. When he's not there it's kind of a crap-shoot.

I buy specialty grain there a lot. I generally get equipment online because it's way cheaper.

I have a good one, fairly close by fortunately (different town but same county) that I've bought most of my ingredients and gear from, in Melbourne, FL. They are the only LHBS in Brevard County and the owner and store manager, Brock and Mike (Brock's only employee), are really nice, knowledgable and helpful, and the store is open 7 days a week. Super nice guys. And they have a web site too:

http://www.brockshomebrew.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?display=home

I have two that I know of, Houston TX, and also have one good and one bad.

I did give one an unfair chance because I only went in there once, which was because I happen to be in the area. I was walking around for about 30 mins and not one person approached me. There were more employees than customers during that time, it was on a Saturday.

Never been back. I go talk to Ray, he's an awesome dude.

I have a great store near me. Prices are good and they are so helpful. I recently moved 2 minutes away from them, they will never get rid of me now.

I've got one in town and one more up the highway a bit, both run as a side business by homebrewers out of their garages. You can imagine there isn't enough business for a full time shop in this highly... religious... community. I always go to the guy in town, just got to call first. He's always ready to shoot the breeze, give advice (but not pushy), help weigh and crush grains, etc. I definitely buy from him whenever I can before going online.

I have 4 LHBS in my area. Competition is Good! :tank:

That said, I have had the best experience buying online. I saved over $100 on my keezer buying online from a vendor I found on HBT.

But the best part is...................... when I started brewing I was a total newb & they knew it. Took advantage. Now as a result of the knowledge I've gained here on HBT, I know more than they do. They have tried to sell me overpriced goodies and when we lock eyes, they're embarrassed & move on.

YOU guys Rock! :ban:

Gameface said:
I sent you a PM but I don't have any problem saying that Salt City Brew Supply is my preferred LHBS. http://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/

I love Salt City Brew Supply. Used them the first time the other day and they were great! Answered all my questions, helped me with the mill which I'd never used, had suggestions, and made me feel welcome. This is now my preferred LHBS, plus it's not all the way in downtown so its great! (I'm from Provo) Those from SLC area know the other two which aren't bad, but this is better.

I have two that I know of, Houston TX, and also have one good and one bad.

I did give one an unfair chance because I only went in there once, which was because I happen to be in the area. I was walking around for about 30 mins and not one person approached me. There were more employees than customers during that time, it was on a Saturday.

Never been back. I go talk to Ray, he's an awesome dude.

Houston has 4 now. Humble, Seabrook, Woodlands and Stella Link. I buy most of my stuff online, but having an LHBS less than ten minutes from the house is awesome when I need odds & ends or want to dig through the expired yeast for bargains.

kingwood-kid said:
Houston has 4 now. Humble, Seabrook, Woodlands and Stella Link. I buy most of my stuff online, but having an LHBS less than ten minutes from the house is awesome when I need odds & ends or want to dig through the expired yeast for bargains.

Actually I remember the humble one now, didn't know about the Seabrook, but that's also far from me. Which one do you go to?

There are a couple of them in Rochester, though neither are solely dedicated to homebrew. The one is mainly known for beer and the other is mainly known for hydroponics. I think Rochester is in dire need of a third option!

You can imagine there isn't enough business for a full time shop in this highly... religious... community.

Funny that the area you live in is a huge producer of barley and I believe that both Budweiser and Dos Equis have malting operations there.

To the OP:

Here in Raleigh we have two LHBS that I know of. One is a gardening/hydroponics store that just starting selling homebrew supplies, so it is very hit or miss. The other is more established and solely focused on wine/beer making. That being said, I do the majority of my brewing purchases online through Brewmaster's Warehouse and Northern Brewer. The owner of the established LHBS is an ass - he belittled me when I was first starting out and I've heard him do it to other brewers as well. I only purchase CO2 at his store and that's it.

I do not feel bad about not supporting the LHBS. The online stores provide excellent customer service and have extensive selections of products.

Back