Corona mill crush test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
I have been testing my corona mill to get it dialed in for a good crush, I want to know what I should be looking for? Here is a pic of what I think is decent so far
Thanks

image-127180981.jpg

You can probably crush quite a bit finer, it looks like some are uncrushed... They say to tighten it as far as you dare, then give it a couple more turns !

You can go quite a bit finer than that and not get a stuck sparge with most systems. Crank it down a couple of turns.

looks too coarse to me, with my corona i cranked it really hard, used it and get stuck sparge, then with next brew i loosen it just a little bit (1/10 of a turn or so) and it was perfect, i was surprised how fast mash tun drained, efficience was close to 80% but i had a hard time to say that difference in the crash was noticeable, i guess you should experiment a little. Also how fine you can go depends on your tune as well so you will get very little help on fine tuning your crash from people on the forum

Ideally you want the husks mainly intact (open but intact). They help to serve as a filter to keep from getting a stuck sparge.

It's really hard to tell from that last picture. I can say that I have finally dialed in my corona mill and switched to a Braided Stainless Steel manifold that resulted in 83% efficiency. You want to find that sweet spot with your mill that breaks open nearly all the grain that goes through it AND leaves a lot of the hulls intact. Give it a few times and you will get there.

Can anyone take a look at my crush and give me a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Thanks

That crush looks ok, but a little inconsistent. There's some untouched kernels and others that are destroyed. I've never experienced issues from having too fine of a crush but I know tannins are a concern. I would try opening up the diameter a hair.

Can anyone take a look at my crush and give me a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Thanks

That looks very similar to mine, it has worked great for me but if it isn't "ideal" I think my problem would be my drill speed and not my gap, is your mill drill operated?

Back