Rubber Gasket Fell in Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedirtystayout

Reaction score
So I made a brown ale this evening and put the wort into primary, added the yeast and sealed the lid. I went to put the airlock in and the gasket fell into the wort. I initially tried to fish it out, but feared leaving the wort exposed.

I finally called it quits on the rescue operation and sealed it back up. I took some duct tape and fastened the airlock. I'm trying to relax and have a home brew, but Im slightly concerned this will impact the beer. Any thoughts? Set me at ease, HBT! Thanks.

-J.

Did you sanitize the gasket? You should be fine regardless, but sanitized things sitting in the beer obviously are safer than non sanitized things. I think it'll still be beer in no time.

It is the most common first post on here, including someone who later became a mod. It happens all the time and is one of the indicators that you are a true homebrewer. It is really best just to leave it alone, as it won't impact your beer, but trying to fish it out might.

Welcome to the club.

In fact;

scroll%20down.bmp

To all the similar threads below. :)

I love revvy's posts cause not only are they funny, cause they are true :)
Oh, and there is still an bung stuck in the bottom of one of my carboys...

Almost everyone's done it. I scrubbed the crap out of my arm with sanitizer, reached in and grabbed it. It was my first or second batch and it came out fine. Probably the majority of brewers who use the big plastic fermenters have done this at least once. It's one reason that I tell new brewers to mess with putting the pieces together before they actually begin the real process.

Thanks, everybody! It was sanitized. No activity yet, but I'm sure it'll be ok. Also, oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful for HBT. Theres so much help here and nobody seems to harbor ill feelings towards noobs. Heres to you guys and gals!

I was very luck to get a heads up from my LHBS where I bought my kit...

Other wise I think I prolly would have done the same.

Thanks. I was thinking of making one for it. I have a blowoff on the rye ale fermenting in the carboy.

Do you use a blowoff on all of your brews? It seems like the lid/air-lock system is a bit flimsy, but I havent had an issue with the pvc bucket until this point.

It's always nice to have a few of those airlock gaskets on hand. they always fall in or crack at the worst times. late at night, after several beers while brewing. LOL

Thanks. I was thinking of making one for it. I have a blowoff on the rye ale fermenting in the carboy.

Do you use a blowoff on all of your brews? It seems like the lid/air-lock system is a bit flimsy, but I havent had an use with the pvc bucket until this point.

Yep, I use them for everything now, except secondaries (when I'm dry hopping or I've harvested yeast from primary) when I know there's not going to be a lot of activity.

So far, so good... I had to add more duct tape because the airlock shot off from the pressure.

Duct tape is not the answer, you need to relieve the pressure not seal it up... the last thing you want is a wort bomb.

Rig up a blowoff tube, or get some fermcap-S and use some along with an airlock

I use one for the first week a brew is fermenting. After that, sometimes I just leave it on, other times I swap it for an airlock. Just depends on my mood. Naturally, if its still bubbling strong after a week, I leave it on.

iron city is correct. i taped over the hole and then punctured it to put the air lock in. after that, i put a few pieces of tape around the airlock to secure it. however, it needed further fastening. another trip to the hardware store tonight to rig up another tube.

i love that home brewing lets you feel like a cook, a mad scientist and macguyver during the process.

I would wash my hand and arm and fish that sucker out! No worries either way! No problem to keep the lid off for a few minutes either assuming you didn't vaccume or dust at the same time or similar. :)

i did it the first time i brewed... and i glad i'm not the only one to put there arm in the tank to get it... Brost!

I did the same thing on my second batch brewed(should be bottling it this week). I just scrubbed my arm clean sanitized it and went fishing

Back