The HopStopper vs. 5oz. Pellet Hops: EPIC FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum67

Reaction score
I was so excited to use my Hop Stopper for the first time. I was really looking forward to getting full utilization out of my hops this time around. Could I really abandon my hop bags forever? Answer: NO. Despite what the ad and 24oz test says, my 1/2" SS Ball valve clogged with hop matter about 70% of the way through, and only with 5oz of hops! I had to sanitize my hands, remove the stopper and unclog the valve. Just thought I should let everyone know.

PS: They're site is offline.

Same problem when I did the homemade version of the hop stopper. I used an IC and also had a ton of cold break which contributed to the fail. Did you chill in the kettle as well?

Yes. MoreBeer SuperChiller dropped in the keggle. Completely stopped flow... I expected a lot more from this product. Not trying to bash, but I am just being honest. I'm sure the trub also contributed, but I had higher expectations.

The instructions that came with mine said not to recirculate or use an IC because the cold break would clog it.

I have used one for years with more than 5ozs on some occasions, never clogged. I am not sure if he changed his materials or what, but I have been very impressed with mine.

wow. really interesting. I wish the makers would chime in with possible reasons. I have the ALL stainless model too...

Ryan, chilling in the kettle or externally? I really think pellet hops + cold break will stop any filter. It creates cement. Maybe a combo of leaf hops and pellet would help.

I used to chill externally, but for a while I was recircing. I did have a hop sock on the return of the chilled return line though to catch the break. In all honesty though, I have since shelved the hopstopper and just use the copper scrubbie since it is cheap and easier to clean.

Chilling in-kettle is the issue for sure. I have done 10 gallon batches with 9+ oz of hops using my homemade one (Bobby_m style) with no issues whatsoever. Flowed like there weren't even any solids in the kettle right until the end, despite the thing being covered in over a half inch of hop material. Through the plate chiller, pump, and into the fermenter it flows like water from a faucet!

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

Pm me if you want to sell it.:)

If I had time to build another one, I might consider it! I built mine using information from Bobby_M's video. It was actually super easy and cheap to do myself. I used the 30x30 mesh he recommends in 316SS. All materials came from McMaster Carr and arrived the day after ordering them.

Tip: Find a darning needle (I think that's what its called) to align the holes in the mesh. It looks like a giant sewing needle and is very strong, but still comes to a small tip. I did the first half with a regular needle stuck in a wood block like he shows in the video, and the second half with the big darning needle. The second half was many times easier.

I'm willing to sell mine. Hold on, I'll take a pic...

hopfiltersale.jpg

hopfiltersale2.jpg

Comes with the filter, siphon tube, hose clamp and stainless compression fitting. What's it worth?

The compression fitting is probably the most expensive part but it was the only way I could figure to make it easily removable.

Back