Continuous Hopping, How to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs2to4

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me how to continually hop an IPA (ie. hop schedule, how much at how often/intervals)?

Just depends on how literally you want to take "continuous."

I'd say just figure out how much hops you want to use, how often you're willing to drop more into the kettle, and divide them up into the number of additions you want to do.

grab a stool and park yourself in front of the stove. If you're using a few types of hop pellets just mix em all together and throw a few pellets in every 30sec to a minute.

I've often wondered how IBUs are calculated with continuous hopping. I do it by hand, so I've never had the patience to figure it out. Does beer software do this type of calculation?

I don't think BeerSmith will do the calculation on its own, but you could figure out how many additions you're doing and put them all into the recipe in one minute increments. (It won't allow you to enter intervals less than one whole minute.)

my IIPA is 1 oz warrior @ 60 then a mix of simcoe,centenial,and chinook 3/4 Oz. every 5 mins.comes out great!then dry hopped of course:D

I also aim for a bittering addition and then equal parts along the way. That way I know that I am going to have a bitterness backbone and not just wasting hops. Also, as mentioned, dry hop.

grab a stool and park yourself in front of the stove. If you're using a few types of hop pellets just mix em all together and throw a few pellets in every 30sec to a minute.

That's one way to do it. Or you can do it the Sam Calagione way and dig out the old electronic football game.

I enjoy hopping it myself.It seems like your putting more effort into it.

Automatic fish feeder seems like it would be easy to modify to do this as well. It already practically does exactly what we're trying to get done with continuous hopping.

Back