need a home depot shopping list for mlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i looked around but didn't see one in the project locator. i need a home depot shopping list of items that i need for my sanke mlt. i have pretty limited funds right now and i'm assuming it would be cheaper to go to home depot and get the items that i need instead of buying a weldless kit from a hbs. if some one could post a complete shopping list for this that would help me greatly. if someone has a how-to, that would help too, but all i really need is the home depot shopping list of parts. i have the keg already, the top is cut off and i'd like to get started on getting it set up a a mlt. was thinking about making it a kettle but i think i'll do that with the next keg i get. i have an 8 gallon boiling kettle right now so i just need to make a better mlt than my current bucket system. it kinda sucks lol

any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

One idea is a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" tube compression fitting:

50915k311-am.gif

After putting an ORING on, 1/2" NPT threads go through the hole from the inside of the keg. On the outside, the 1/2" ball valve threads on. If threading the ball valve on doesn't snug up (the threads bottom out too soon), you can take up the slack with washers or an electrical conduit locknut (low class style). Many have found that thick rubber flat washers make a better seal than orings though, and home depot and lowes just don't have much variety like mcmaster.com does.

The compression fitting allows you to insert 1/2" copper pipe for the siphon tube.

You can skip all of this if you have a propane torch. Grab yourself a $5 silver soldering kit from a welding supply.

i'm assuming it would be cheaper to go to home depot and get the items that i need instead of buying a weldless kit from a hbs

Its not. Order from someplace like McMaster, or from bargainfittings. Home depot will cost you more.

On my kegs that I converted I finally found something I was happy with.
1/2" threaded nipple @ 1 inch long.
1/2" locknut and silicone oring from bargainfittings
1/2" fpt to 1/2" copper pipe
1/2" threaded ball valve.

tape up the threaded nipple with some teflon.
put the thread the ball valve on for about 2 turns.
stick the ball valve/nipple through the keg well
put the oring and locknut on hand tight.
Then thread the fpt pipe adapter on the inside.

I put pipe adapters on both ends of mine but thats because it is hard plumbed through out.

No fender washer, extra orings or large couplings. Easy, clean, and simple.

Back