I dried the crap out of this one...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took the "C of 3 C's" recipe and tried to dial it to the lowest FG I could get to in an effort to give SWMBO a very dry, very crisp version of a cream ale. She's been bugging me to get my ales to the lightest, driest point possible.

Seemed like a reasonable request seeing as it's coming up on pool season and we'll have casual gatherings at the house all Spring and Summer. The local Soccer mom's are always all-too-eager to line up at my taps for these light summer ales.

• I took the corn and rice down a bit and replaced with 1# of table sugar.
  • I mashed at 149 for 90 minutes.
  • Boiled the crap out of it to the point that I almost had 3 boil overs.
  • Pitched on a yeast cake of Kolsch yeast at 64 degrees.
  • Gave it 2 weeks and racked to a secondary vessel on gelatin.

The result...my 1.037 beer attenuated down to....

p1040070.jpg

That's right ladies and gents. I have officially brewed beer with the same final gravity as....water.

FWIW...it tastes absolutely freakin awesome out of the hydro. The kolsch yeast lends a nice fruity note.

I think this may be the "pimp my BMC clone" of 2009.

Very interesting, nice job BM, I didn't think it was possible to go that low, but it's done...do report back w/ the tasting. Oh, and nice idea w/ the sugar...that stuff has been cursed too long.

wow, make sure you let us know how it tastes. C of 3 C's is my favorite light beer.

So, what's this recipe look like?My c3c ended at 1.008.
Anything like this?
A ProMash Recipe - The Jamil Show - Cream Ale

Pretty close.

10.0# Pils
.75# Flaked Corn
.75# Minute Rice
1.0# Cane Sugar

.50 ounce Magnum x 60
.50 ounce Hallertau x 10

IBU's around 15-17 or so.

I was shooting for a 3.5% beer, but this dried out enough that we'll have to settle for a 4.7% instead. :D

Very dry.

That's dry enough you'll need something to wash it down. I've never had a beer go below 1.006, but I've never really pushed it.

What? You couldn't get it BELOW 1.000? P*ssy!;)

Just kidding. Great job!

No potoshop necessary.
Frame conveniently cuts the hydrometer top (and his finger) out of the shot.:D

LOL.

I checked for another pic but didn't find one of the top of the hydro.

Next time I'll stand 10 feet away and take incrementally closer pics...with a copy of that days newpaper in the background. :D

p1040069.jpg

I applaud you for making these light beers. :mug:
Everyone goes with the bigger is better thing, and sometimes it is, but a real challenge is making a really light beer that has no flaws. If you have one thing wrong there, it will shine through and be very obvious.
This is a real lawnmower/ session beer.

I applaud you for making these light beers....

Thanks. So do my neighbors. It's 80 and sunny here and going to get very hot...very soon.

That Black Pearl Porter that sounded so good just 60 days (and 45 degrees) ago is all of a sudden the last thing I want to drink.

One thing I found last summer was that I was always chasing the pipeline with light session beers. As long as I have several "personal" taps downstairs for me...I'm happy to open the shop with light cream ales, wits and other "zesty" brews. :mug:

Thanks. So do my neighbors. It's 80 and sunny here and going to get very hot...very soon.

That Black Pearl Porter that sounded so good just 60 days (and 45 degrees) ago is all of a sudden the last thing I want to drink.

I admit the same thing. It rained the other day and was like 50 degrees, out came the stout. Today though, it is already 75 at 10:00am and going to be mid 80's and I am happy that I have 5 gallons of pale on tap and 10 about to be racked. :tank:

Back