bottled O2 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagamore

Reaction score
I think this goes here, if not could a mod move it to where it belongs.

1> can you use a Dive tank to send O2 to the carboy, if not using a dive tank, where are you geting the O2 tanks from?
2> what mix of gas should be used, 100% O2, 80%, normal air?
3> how many carboys should a 30l Decon tank last @ say 2500psi?

I think most here use the little red Oxygen tanks from HD or Lowes with the Oxynator kit from their brew store.

With that said, I beleive that it's 100% Oxygen, but many people use the shake method which is just normal air.

100% O2 gets the job done fast, but air works too. There are aeration kits that are just aquarium pumps with a filter and a stone. Most people use these, they cost about 10$ and they are disposable. They are in the hardware store with the other little torch bottles:
21pnea4O2CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Well, if you already dive AND have a pure O2 tank, go for it. I wouldn't recommend seeking one out for that purpose though. The disposable tanks last for 10 batches or so.

I will look at aldi and hornbocker here in Germany, but the oddest things are hard to find. But i have a buddy that has is NOPI and PADDY dive certs, and was talking about giving me an old 30l decon tank he had, since he is Mix/SO2 certified he can get the 50% 80% and pure O2 gas for cheap (~10euros per tank @25Kpsi). Thanks for the info and help.

got the old tank, and a 1stag reg for 150usd for 7l decon @ 192bar (should last me for years) now i just have to figure out how to hook up my air hose to the .75meter hose.

Back