is this a good deal? (40 qt. ss for 80 bucks)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez, that sounds great. They don't tell you the guage of stainless but it does have an aluminium clad bottom. It sounds like a winner to me.

If it is legit SS, then it seems like a good deal. However, having a 10g pot is worthless if you ever plan on doing 10 gallon batches. You'll need about 15g realistically, and so then you've got to think about a keggle instead. Might as well do it right the first time. And the price in the long run would be close.

Just my 2 pennies.

Brewpastor said:
Jeez, that sounds great. They don't tell you the guage of stainless but it does have an aluminium clad bottom. It sounds like a winner to me.

i know...its almost too good to be true (which usually means it is). the bottom is 4mm and the ones from morebeer etc are 5 mm. Its sounds like a solid deal...what do they mean by 'maximum magnetic conductivity for induction cooking' ?
and what is 'ant-corrosive' properties?

Bjorn Borg said:
http://www.instawares.com/RII-ROYSSRSPT40.RII-ROYSSRSPT40.0.7.htm?sessionID=13219591137A18402B600120

80 bucks? thats cheap for a stainless steel 10 g pot. Ive been searching places like northern brewer, midwest, morebeer, etc and theyre cheapest ss 40 qt is 120...am i missing something?

shipping is only 9 bucks!

There is a link to this one at the bottom of the page:

http://www.instawares.com/detail.asp?product_id=SST-40&sessionID=13219591137A18402B600120

Four dollars more, but it has the specs listed:

Our Master Cook stainless steel cookware is made of premium 18/8
stainless steel with "Sandwich" bottoms consisting of a 5mm thick
aluminum core wrapped by two layers of stainless steel.

This new design gives the stock pot super strength
and even heat distribution.

They may also be used with induction cookers,
presenting the highest quality of its kind.

sst-40 40 quart stock pot with cover.

117/8" high x 15 3/4" dia.

You guys pushing those keggles are worse then crack dealers!
your all probably right, but they are out of my budget for now, i just need something that will get me through untill i graduate school,(1 year) and then ill have enough money to get a system that will make Brewpastors look like a pickel-bucket and a balloon...

Lounge Lizard said:
There is a link to this one at the bottom of the page:

http://www.instawares.com/detail.asp?product_id=SST-40&sessionID=13219591137A18402B600120

Four dollars more, but it has the specs listed:

sst-40 40 quart stock pot with cover.

117/8" high x 15 3/4" dia.

thanks that one is even better because my burner is 15 inches, and the other pot is 16...they only thing i noticed though was that the shipping weight is less for that one? thats why i figured it was lighter which logically means its crappier no? Though specs are the same as the polarware ones (i think) which is really good...i have a sandwiched ss pot now that is awesome as far as heat distribution is concerned...(its only 5.5. g's though)

Bjorn Borg said:
thanks that one is even better because my burner is 15 inches, and the other pot is 16...they only thing i noticed though was that the shipping weight is less for that one? thats why i figured it was lighter which logically means its crappier no? Though specs are the same as the polarware ones (i think) which is really good...i have a sandwiched ss pot now that is awesome as far as heat distribution is concerned...(its only 5.5. g's though)

Good catch on the difference in shipping weight. The one I linked to, is for some reason listed in the aluminum section (where the other one is not). The description clearly states stainless steel, though.

Home » Kitchen Supplies » Cookware » Stock Pots » Aluminum » 40 Quart » SST-40

Maybe they just goofed up on the weight because of that? They are also made by two different manufacturers.

Hmm.... who knows? lol

Well..I got an empty keg for free. A friend cut off the top. I picked up a weldless spigot and ball valve, plus a bazooka tube set up for $60. 15 gallons of capacity. Just my 2 cents.

From an earlier post :
"what do they mean by 'maximum magnetic conductivity for induction cooking' ?"

Induction cooking is a really cool way to cook. Induction cooktops are common in Europe (where I first encountered one), but you can get them in the US. Basically, there is a pulsing electromagnet that induces large current flows in your cookware (must contain ferrous material, e.g. stainless steel, cast iron). It means that the cooking surface doesn't heat up at all because all the heat is generated in the pot with the induced current flow. I've seen models where you can set a specific temperature on the induction element and it will automagically maintain that temperature.

A couple refs :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker

http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml

Induction cooking methods are the exact reason I joined this forum. I wanted to talk about the possibilities for brewing, but I'll start that discussion in another thread. I was especially excited about the idea of using an induction element to precisely control mashing temperature and also as a way for urban brewers to achieve quick boil times without propane. Unfortunately, I think that to boil a 6 gallon batch of wort in 15 minutes, like is possible a good 100,000 BTU propane burner (so I've been told), you would need something like a 7kW induction element which poses several problems : kW rating that high are expensive, they require 240V outlets and fuses capable of over 30 Amps (@240V).

Back