fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furlow008

Reaction score
Just started using my ferm fridge with ranco thermostat. When I first put in the wort to ferment, should I start at room temp (70?) and then bring it down to the right temp when fermentation starts? And after the primary is done and I want to secondary, should it be at the same temp I used for the primary or back to room temp?

My limited experience would say yes. I tried to start at 62 with Pacman and it did not start. I had to warm it back up until it started then cooled it down.

I always make all my beers (ales and lagers both) the same. I always pitch at fermentation temperature. I think that if it started at 70 degrees, it would be ok, though.

I just made a Scottish ale, and the yeast likes lower ferm temps. I put it in the fridge and set it at 58. Everything seemed fine. It fermented, but I'm not sure to what extent. It looked and sounded good for a couple days, got a good head of krausen and then died off. As it should I would guess.

I pitched Pacman yesterday. Pitch a 6-gal carboy at 62F and a 3-gal carboy at 74F. Both are going like a mofo! :mug:

That is awsome. Mine would not start at the lower temp. It could be because I grew it from a bottle and I may have underpitched it. It has been a little over a week and it is down from 1.054 to 1.020. I have a target of 1.012. I hope it makes it. I plan to wash the yeast and re-pitch soon into another batch.

That is awsome. Mine would not start at the lower temp. It could be because I grew it from a bottle and I may have underpitched it. It has been a little over a week and it is down from 1.054 to 1.020. I have a target of 1.012. I hope it makes it. I plan to wash the yeast and re-pitch soon into another batch.

Sounds like the yeasties are unhappy. I'd do a couple of rounds of starters before pitching again since it sounds like your cake is not very healthy at the moment.

- Eric

Latest posts

Back