beer going flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fins2rit

Reaction score
Hello
I have a few questions to ask.
When you tap a keg and put it in the kegerator it will eventually go bad(stale).
My concern with kegging is if I put my beer in the keg and Co2 it to severing pressure and leave it for a couple of weeks, why wont it go bad?
The reason I am asking is because I had a commercially brewed beer in my kegorator(captain Lawrence pale ale) and it was going stale by week two.. I use beer gas mix in my kegerator and I have a spare Co2 for my home brew.
thanks for your time

What do you mean by "stale"? Its going flat or after a few weeks its undrinkable (taste?)

People that use air pumps on kegs run into issues with it going bad from being exposed to atmospheric air.

no matter what beer I bought it always went bad some just lasted longer than others. Should I go back to co2 instead of beer gas?

Yeah, try to use CO2 was going to be my next post anyway; see if maybe the beer gas isn't really beer gas. :(

Could be anything in there and you'd never know for sure... :confused:

Could it be that it is not the gas at all?

Couldn't the lines have that affect if not cleaned properly. Another possibility would be soap residue in the glasses. I had that happen to me, I changed the way I cleaned the glasses and it stopped hapening

I have no idea what beer gas is, but I would put CO2 and burb it for storage, thus slowing it down from going "stale". As far as the carbonation that's the point I'd PSI and shake just like my homebrew.

If it's skunky after 2 weeks could it be bad brew from your distributor?

lol.. what kinda beer is this? Heck, I'd call just about any BMC type of beer outta a commercial keg nearly undrinkable these days. I was at a house party a few months ago and had to refuse to drink the Yuengling Lager out of a half keg cause it tasted like rat poison. Homebrew spoils you!!

Back