Saflager S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Ive got a 1.050 pilsener fermenting at 46F (I also pitched at 46F). I used one packet of S-23 (I didn't rehydrate). I mashed at 151F.
After one week it was down to 1.040, a week later down to 1.019.

I thought it would have gone lower by now so Ive brought it up to room temp for a few days.
What I'd like to know is :
Is my brew on track to drop (73%) to 1.012 - it seems slow ?
Is one pack enough in 5gallons of a 1.050 ?
Is 46F OK or too low for S-23?
Ive read S-23 can be hellavu fruity - how did you find it ?
Im hoping on a dry, clean finish.

As far as temp goes, that yeast should do fine at 46°F. It might even reduce the esters a bit. But the pitch rate was low, which could increase the esters. So maybe it will even out. 1 packet is not enough. I wouldn't use less than 2 packets, rehydrated per 5 gallons.

Fermentis recommends a pitch rate of 80 to 120 g/hl which converts to ~15 to 23 g/ 5 gallons for pitching at 12-15°C (53.6-59.0°F) and 200 to 300 g/hl which converts to ~38 to 57 g/ 5 gallons for pitching below 12°C (53.6°F). At 11.5 grams per packet, that's 1.3 to 2 packets for the former and 3.3 to 5 packets for latter.

I've not used S-23, but I have used W-34/70 a few times. I pitch below 12°C and use 2 packets, rehydrated, per 5 gallons. My lagers have turned out fine... very clean. My OG's are usually at or below 1.050, so if I had a beer approaching 1.060, I would probably use 3 packets per 5 gallons.

Your beer may drop further in gravity. If you were correct on your mash temp, it should drop more. If the mash got higher than you thought, you may not drop a whole lot more.

You did not pitch enough yeast. I've read that if you don't rehydrate dry yeast your viability can go down by 50%. Per Mr. Malty for 5 gallons you should have pitched about 2 packets of rehydrated dry yeast.

If a starter is used, would one pack of S-23 be enough?

I don't see why not... but for the cost/time to make a starter, you may as well just get another packet. (Unless the price keeps going up... it wasn't more than 1 or 2 years ago they were $2-3 a packet. Now they're $4-7!)

I don't see why not... but for the cost/time to make a starter, you may as well just get another packet. (Unless the price keeps going up... it wasn't more than 1 or 2 years ago they were $2-3 a packet. Now they're $4-7!)

I boil water, along with a quart mason jar. Add a little DME to the water, dissolve. Pour in jar, let cool. Add yeast, cover with sanitized foil. Let sit for a couple of days, giving the jar a swirl from time to time.

Actual time: about an hour, with most of that waiting.

Cost: less than $1.00

:confused:

I boil water, along with a quart mason jar. Add a little DME to the water, dissolve. Pour in jar, let cool. Add yeast, cover with sanitized foil. Let sit for a couple of days, giving the jar a swirl from time to time.

Actual time: about an hour, with most of that waiting.

Cost: less than $1.00

:confused:

No arguments here... it's just that starter making is like bottling to me... if I can avoid it, I will. Surely it costs more than $1.00 though. With energy usage, water, and time including clean-up, the $4.00 for an extra packet of Saflager is worth it to me. I've seen the prices going up though. I think some places are charging close to $7.00 for W-34/70. My LHBS still sells it for $4.00, but if it goes higher, I might reconsider making a starter.

You shouldn't make a starter for dry yeast. You should only rehydrate it.

If you rehydrate it prior to making a starter you should be just fine. if I were making a starter with dry yeast I'd re rehydrate it and then add the cooled starter wort to a sanitized container.

From Jamil (mrmalty.com)

"In fact, with most dry yeasts, placing them in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into the yeast."

Back