Calling all Bock Experts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Ok, about a month ago I had said I had a bunch of munich malt and alot of you suggested a bock. Then i heard from a buddy over in the big cat box of the world(iraq) and he is coming home for good in april. Why is this important you ask; well he did not drink beer until the military took him to germany. Now he is convinced that he will never be able to get good beer unless he goes there.

So in an attempt to use all of my munich malt and make a beer for my military friend, i am going to try and make a dopplebock.

Will these ingredients work?

This is what i am thinking:
5.0 gallon batch

14# munich
1# caramunich
.5# honey malt

Single infusion at 154

OG with efficiency of 68% 1.077

Hop schedule.

1 oz perle for 60
.5 oz tett for 30
.5 oz tett for 5

total IBU 35.8

A bit high on the IBU i know, but it shouldnt be to bad.

BOCK EXPERTS, will this be drinkable?

Well, I'm no bock expert as my first one is in the primary so hopefully the Kaiser will see this.

In any case, my .02 Euros worth is to drop the honey malt as 100% Munich base malt will be plenty malty-sweet. I would consider adding 1-4oz of dehusked Carafa II if you can get it for color and flavor, but it's certainly not an issue if you don't have any.

On the hops, I would really go with one bittering addition in the 25IBU range. You're only trying to provide a foil to the cloying malty sweetness, not actually introduce any hop flavor for a bock.

But to answer your question, I'm sure it will be drinkable!

So, if i scale back the 60 min hop addition to .75 oz and the 30 up to .75 then my total IBU will be 30.3

think this will work?

I always put Hallertauer In my bocks, but that's just me. According to Beersmith, bocks use only bittering hops- no flavor or aroma hops at all.
Also, 4 oz of Chocolate malt might do nicley........

What yeast are you using???

I think i will use the Saflager dry yeast for this one. I have two packs of it so there should be no worry of underpithcing with a high OG.

Ok, I will get ride of the 5 min hop addition, but i am thinking i want to stick with the flavor. How about this:

1 oz hallertauer 60 min
.5 oz perle at 60 min
.25 tett at 30 min

Am I more on track with this hop schedule?

I am not sure why i am so afraid to get ride of the flavor adition at 30 min. It just seems right to me.

Bocks are lagers. Is that yeast a lager yeast? I know there are some dry lager yeasts out there, but I don't know the names.

ablrbrau said:
Bocks are lagers. Is that yeast a lager yeast? I know there are some dry lager yeasts out there, but I don't know the names.

Chances are that a product named Saflager is a lager yeast.

J/K

That Saflager S-23, IMO, is a good yeast. I have used it multiple times. I am using it now for a Vienna Lager and will be reusing it for a Maibock I plan to brew Monday or Tuesday.

sonvolt said:
Chances are that a product named Saflager is a lager yeast.

J/K

That Saflager S-23, IMO, is a good yeast. I have used it multiple times. I am using it now for a Vienna Lager and will be reusing it for a Maibock I plan to brew Monday or Tuesday.

Duhhh mebbe I should read a little closer:cross:

Silly me......:eek:

which caramunich is it? They usually come in three different lovibond ratings.

Also, what malter is the munich from?

Looks pretty good to me,
Dave

Check out this link. Ray Daniels book is a good resource for deconstructing the bock. The link is almost a verbatim excerpt from his book.

Marc.

The caramunich is 40 lovi

and the munich malt is weyermans (spelling).

i know for a true dopplebock a decoction is nessasary but i am not sure if i am ready to try that yet. But, i guess i do not know what i am afraid of.

Back