Too Many Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night SWMBO said I was being ridiculous. She went down into the basement sometime yesterday and noticed that I have 6 fermenters cranking away.

All I could do was grin like this. ------> :D

Good thing she didn't see my 3 new kegs! :rockin:

I've got four going right now, which is the most ever. My wife's pretty cool about my brewing, but between the igloo coolers in our living room, the downstairs shower having been converted into a bottle soaking facility, and the office covered in beer bottles, buckets, grain and other brewing equipment, I think she's starting to get tired of it.

Next time put all of your carboys in her closet next to her brand new shoes... she will think twice about bringing up your beer inventory.:mug:

I thought that two pails would cover it for me, but it leaves me waiting, when I want to brew. :(

Next time put all of your carboys in her closet next to her brand new shoes... she will think twice about bringing up your beer inventory.:mug:

Ummm, no, it doesn't.

Hate happening here. You have SIX fementers?!?!?!!?

I JUST last weekend got a second fermenter! SWMBO is not pleased that there are 3 secondaries in the unusable corner of the laundry room.

I quietly add kegs and that's ok, but big glass visible stuff is not.

Wimen, go figur.

Hate happening here. You have SIX fementers?!?!?!!?

I JUST last weekend got a second fermenter! SWMBO is not pleased that there are 3 secondaries in the unusable corner of the laundry room.

I quietly add kegs and that's ok, but big glass visible stuff is not.

Wimen, go figur.

I have 9 different fermenters if you count the ole mr beer brown jug.

I've got 3 going now, Heffe, Brown and Applewein my most ever. My SWMBO doesn't care about the brewing but boy she sure doesn't like the sulphur smell coming from the basement. :mug:

I've got three occupied right now: wit, Scrum Bag IPA, Duncan's Malcontent 70/-; knocking out a brew day this weekend with Old Boot ESB. I've got two glass carboys coming my way on the cheap, too. ;)

It's the 14 cornies that my wife just shakes her head and rolls her eyes about. :D

Ok - How many are full?

Right this moment....4...and a remaining 4 batches have been bottled over the last month or so and are bottles conditioning, just bottled the last one last weekend. I haven't used the mr beer fermenter for any small batches since I bought the 3 gallon better bottle in October.

i can't make the reasoning to get more than 1 batch going every other week. i just can't drink that much! maybe i need to get with the buds twice a week for poker.

i can't make the reasoning to get more than 1 batch going every other week. i just can't drink that much! maybe i need to get with the buds twice a week for poker.

I share alot of my beer with my buddies. I like to have a few batches going so that I don't drink young beer, or before it reaches its prime. I don't rush them either. 3 weeks in a primary another 3 in the 2ndaries.

ahoy hoy,
I have 4 carboys, and I have 4 brewing. Orange cascade, a stone ipa clone, a jasmine ipa, and a citrus ale Im experimenting with. Id have more if I had more carboys....
A great day to you all

Well, not every beer is done in 2 months....I leave my beers a minimum of 1 month in primary, and lately with the ambient temp in the mid 60's it's taking upwards of a month to carb. Plus a couple of those beers I won't even be tasting for 6 months (My Belgian Strong Dark, with a 10.5 Abv's going to need at least that long.)

And I am ghetto lagering some beers right now while it is cold, between primary and secondary, I won't be touch them for 3 months either.

I actually will need to brew some ales soon, especially some milds or session beers, since most of that stuff I won't be touching til spring.

35_gallons.jpg

17 carboys and a conical

we have two empty ones today

The brewing got kicked into the barn last year so we have lots of room.

The longer you brew the more stuff you collect

Well, not every beer is done in 2 months....I leave my beers a minimum of 1 month in primary, and lately with the ambient temp in the mid 60's it's taking upwards of a month to carb. Plus a couple of those beers I won't even be tasting for 6 months (My Belgian Strong Dark, with a 10.5 Abv's going to need at least that long.)

i'm using a 2:2:3 system: 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle. seems to be working just fine for me so far. haven't decided to start doing "strong" or higher-gravity beers, so i'm satisfied with how i've got going.

only have 2 buckets and a 6.5gal better bottle, so i'm somewhat limited to how much i produce anyway...until i find another job in this terrible market.

but beer and economics never mix well anyway, so let's forget about that. :cross:

17 cornies (five empty right now)
12 carboys (5.5, 6.5, and 7)
1 3 gallon carboy, and 4 buckets I no longer use... except for that one time when I ran out of carboys.
100_4285.JPG

I live alone now due to our job situations, and I have fermenters going in the den, in the master bedroom, and in the guest bedroom (the temps in those spots are desirable for various reasons). As well, I have to fermentation freezers. One broke, but at peak I could have four carboy primaries and four cornie secondaries of lagers going, and unlimited ales (except for limit of fermentation space).

Right now I'm just fermenting 25 gallons of stuff, though. :) Gotta kick it into gear next month. I'm just frustrated because my lagering freezer capacity is halved with the one broken, and I love me some temp-controlled lagers and ales.

There is NO such thing as too many fermenters. So far in my first four months of brewing I've acquired two buckets, one 5 gallon Better Bottle I'm using for apfelwein, and a 6.5 gallon carboy that's being used as a secondary but could easily be used for a primary. If I had another pail or carboy I'd probably start another batch this weekend. ;)

pails are cheap! Keep your eyes peeled on craigs list for carboys, too. I got a load of them for under $20 each that way.

I have 3 glass 6gl carboys 3 5 gl carboys 3 1 gl going with apelffien experiment 3 5gal pails one filled with cabernet saughvinion one with pinoit grigio one empty.And a 60 gl barrel just emptied on chirstmas.All my carboys are currently empty plan on filling them this week

I just started brewing a month or so ago, but already have 3 carboys. My brother used to brew, but he gave up due to several "off beers" so I've just been borrowing some of his carboys. I would have more if my closet was bigger.

Apparently I do not brew enough and need to catch up. I am getting a ##55 of Maris Otter and Wheat Malt or Pilsner tomorrow. I am going to do a Whose your Taddy Porter (SWMBO's request) and another beer to be determined. I also need to bottle the Apfelwine

Hardcore studs you are. I've got nothing. Two 6 gallon better bottles and 1 5 gallon. I've had both the big ones full at the same time. As I'm getting ready to do 10G batches, I'm going to need something bigger or I'll be splitting batches.

I do, however now have 11 cornies, most empty waiting to be filled and added to the upcoming 4 tap keezer.

I keep 3 going at all times. I get all itchy when I have only 2 going. Plus I routinely have 2 batches of Apfelwein waiting for someone to call me needing party booze on a Friday night. :D

I have 7 carboys.

mcKbrew, use your carboys as primaries, then get it into the cornies to secondary. If you want to be fancy you can get a gas ball-lock fitting and some tubing and put it in a jug of water, or you can just leave the cornies sealed and vent them every day like I do. Frees up your carboys more quickly.

The owner of one of my LHBS recently showed me his personal setup and i about **** myself, 14 fermentors and they were all full. He said he has more and they will be going soon once spring rolls around. He said he brews almost everything for the year in fall and spring because the temps are perfect and he doesn't need to worry about temp control as much. He said he absolutely hates brewing in the summer.....which i understand because we have really hot, dry summers here.

mcKbrew, use your carboys as primaries, then get it into the cornies to secondary. If you want to be fancy you can get a gas ball-lock fitting and some tubing and put it in a jug of water, or you can just leave the cornies sealed and vent them every day like I do. Frees up your carboys more quickly.

Pretty much what I do right now. I don't secondary at all, just keg. My issue is more with time/money than anything. Finding the time to brew around here is a PITA. Money not normally an issue but I spent tax refund on equipment and don't have anything left for ingredients until March 1st. Now that I've pretty much got my equipment taken care of, there should be much more brewing in my future.

Back