confirm my fears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck218

Reaction score
There is a white line developing along the side of my primary fermenter that I don't remember seeing on the first batch I made. Is that mold? Click on link to see picture. 2nd batch

It probably isn't mold, but could be an infection. Does it look like white scum, kind of webbish across the surface? There really isn't much you can do but wait and see. Racking to a secondary and chilling may slow it down, but if it is infected the damage is done. Give everything a really good cleaning and move ahead. But do give it a taste before you toss it.

Ignore what I just said, actually, now that I actually look at the pictyre I would say it looks fine to me. The upper ring is yeast crust (my term) the one just below the surface is yeast dust (again my term). I think you are OK.

I would say it is time to rack into a secondary.

Yes, it's a hideous infection from Andromeda. Happy?

Actually, it does look exactly like a normal krausen ring that's fallen in and it's just about time to rack it to the secondary. What kind of brew is it? Some yeast strains are more vigorous than others when it comes to fermenting.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae infection. Related to Pediococcus cerevisiae and Acetobacter cerevisiae, but not closely.

Back