pump motors and bearings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancisBrew

Reaction score
So, I have a march 809 pump, and I am planning on changing out the bearings. Does anyone know what sizes go into these things? I am fairly certain that it uses a bearing and not a bushing, but I could be wrong (and please, let me know if I am) I could buy a kit or whatever, but I would rather go buy the bearings for a fraction of the cost at an industrial supply or automotive store. I notice that this information is conspicuously hard to find. Even the guy at chugger pumps was evasive.

You really don't want to try and do that yourself.

Just don't.

So I take it that it is either dangerous or complicated to switch out the bearings? If so, that is fine. I have a friend who is very mechanically experienced and electrically knowledgeble who could do it for me. I just don't want to shell out another hundred plus dollars when I know I can buy a decent bearing for less than twenty. Have you tried this before?

I would be tempted to send it back to March so it might have a warranty. Not sure though if they do that though.

@BeaksnBeer-Okay, my friend works at a machine shop so he would have access to a press like that (I assume). Have you done this? If so do you happen to remmeber the bearing number/size? I was planning on using a rubber sealed bearing. I was told the metal shielded variety do not make a complete seal and who wants to drink greasy beer......not me.

Not unless there is nothing else:drunk:

@mpcluever After checking that out it seems to me that this has to use a ball bearing because of the whole 'carbon sleeves release free radicals with wear' thing. Thank you for helping me clarify that!

@BeaksnBeer-Okay, my friend works at a machine shop so he would have access to a press like that (I assume). Have you done this? If so do you happen to remmeber the bearing number/size? I was planning on using a rubber sealed bearing. I was told the metal shielded variety do not make a complete seal and who wants to drink greasy beer......not me.

Not unless there is nothing else:drunk:

Actually, the sealed bearing prevent grease/oil from getting into the windings and shorting out the motor. I replace motor and pump bearings at work been doing this for 20+. The bearing designation will be on the bearing. (outer race or the seal surface)

Actually, a sealed bearing keeps contaminants out of the bearings. If the oil runs out of them, they have failed. They're oiled by pulling a vacuum on the seal and drawing the oil into the bearing.

OP. There was someone else on the forum that tried to change out the bearings. He has a few pictures or a vid on it. He sent it back to the factory to fix what he fixed.

Back