More Hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurnick

Reaction score
The IPA recipe I used called for 1oz Galena for 60 and 1/2oz Columbus at 5. I dry hopped 5 days ago with 1 oz Columbus. I took a taste last night and do not think it will be hoppy enough. Can someone recommend a hop addition that might work well for the last 5 days in the secondary? Or, is just that it needs more time with what I have.:confused:

tpurnick said:
The IPA recipe I used called for 1oz Galena for 60 and 1/2oz Columbus at 5. I dry hopped 5 days ago with 1 oz Columbus. I took a taste last night and do not think it will be hoppy enough. Can someone recommend a hop addition that might work well for the last 5 days in the secondary? Or, is just that it needs more time with what I have.:confused:

That doesn't seem like a lot of hops for an American IPA. I'm still a noob, but I like me some hoppy beers. The few times I've done ipas I've used anywhere from 5-7oz for the boil and flame out additions. Plus another 2.5-3oz DH. Maybe your beer would benefit from another 3oz to the DH? Try 1oz Columbus and 2oz Cascade for 7 days.

The amount of hops required depends on beer volume and OG measurement.

If you had an OG of about 1.065 for 5 gallons then I would say you need at least 3.5 oz of hops in the boil and flame out plus at least 1 oz dry hop but I would personally use 2 oz dry hop. Also I would want my IBU's to be between 60 and 80.

IPA's need a certain GU:BU ratio (gravity to bittering units) to make them to style but they won't taste and smell hoppy unless you put more hops at the tail end of the boil and ideally dry hop.

I'd say add at least 1 more oz of something else. I prefer cascade hops, they give that nice "piney" aroma to your brew. Good luck!

When you say not hoppy enough, dry hopping adds more aroma...no bitterness. So are you looking for more nose and flavor? or it's not bitter enough that an IPA should have?

I just kegged my Amarillo IPA last night and used 4oz throughout the boil and 2oz dry hop and it's fantastic. Some hop heads go even more nuts with it....but I have zero'd in on what works for me and my palate.

If it's more bitterness you are after, then you could try this

...or you can accept your beer for what it is. Dry hop with some uber dank/piney/citrusy pellets for a week and then bottle. Carbonation can certainly affect the perceived bitterness of your beer.

I am not sure that throwing more dry hops will cover this up. I think it needs more late boil hops but remember that carbonation will add to your beer also.

When you say not hoppy enough, dry hopping adds more aroma...no bitterness. So are you looking for more nose and flavor? or it's not bitter enough that an IPA should have?

I just kegged my Amarillo IPA last night and used 4oz throughout the boil and 2oz dry hop and it's fantastic. Some hop heads go even more nuts with it....but I have zero'd in on what works for me and my palate.

yeah...i am looking for more nose. i picked up an oz of cascade, so i think i will through that in for a few days.

Back