Additions to Recipe need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMCosco

Reaction score
I actually have two questions here, one about my current batch and one about a follow-up batch...

I currently have an american wheat ale fermenting:

7.2 lbs wheat LME
0.5 lbs caravienne
0.5 lbs munich
1 oz hallertau 60 mins
0.5 oz saaz 10 mins
0.5 oz saaz 5 mins

Recipe said primary for 10 days and secondary for approx 14 days. I am planning to just primary for about 3 weeks, does that seem reasonable?

For my next batch, I really want to use this same recipe but add in orange peel and coriander. I assume for that I would need to re-rack and add to these to the secondary correct? Thoughts on how much of each to use? Do I grate the orange peel?

Thanks to all

When I have made an Orange Hony Wheat in the past I've added the orange peel zest during the boil. I would assume the same for the coriander based on a few clone recipies I've seen, but then again I have never brewed with coriander.

When I have made an Orange Hony Wheat in the past I've added the orange peel zest during the boil. I would assume the same for the coriander based on a few clone recipies I've seen, but then again I have never brewed with coriander.

Thanks, I did a bit more research (which I should have done previously) and you are right. Sounds like I should add them with a few minutes left in the boil.

I've also added orange/lemon peel (for summer ale) or pumpkin pie spices (for a pumpkin ale) during the boil. Both have turned out fine.

Back