Can you ID my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elielilang

Reaction score
Hi, Im growing 2 types of hops but mixed them up... One is cascade and the other is nugget. I included a picture, here are some notes:

Long cone : Early to flower and develop now almost ready for harvest. smells hoppy

Round cone : slower to develop, many cones still small. smells grassy.

Thanks for your thoughts,
-Eli

photo.JPG

Aroma-wise cascade is more floral/spicy and nugget is more herbal. I'm not a hop-grower, though.

I am not sure if you need 10 confirmations, but I would agree with the rest...I too am growing both of these varieties and i'd say top cascade, bottom nugget. Cascade smells grassy, and smaller cone.

I am growing both and thought some images might help confirm what others have already said.

Luckily, you are growing some of the only hops that are easy to identify. Not all the cones on a plant will be the same (especially on younger bines), but overall:
- Nugget is rounder with tight, smooth cones.
- Cascade cones are longer with a distinct, square profile.

nug-vs-cascade.jpg

Cascade cones will be sort of square (flat on four sides) when they get big like nagmay's in the picture above. I mixed up my nugget and cascade like you did. I made a tea out of equal sized cones from each plant and tasted them. The nugget was definitely more bitter.

WTF. My nugget looks exactly like your cascades there.

Makes me think my plants got mixed up - which is terrible, really. Because my "cascade" is dead so I have nothing to compare to.

Hmm. I know I have a hallertauer - maybe I'll do the tea thing. If bitterness is = than I have cascade. If it's way more bitter then I have Nugget. Thanks for reading my thoughts I typed out for some reason...

Cones on the same plant can look very different, but overall, nugget cones are smooth with a round profile. If they all/most have a square profile instead - then, yes - you most likely are looking at a cascade bine.

Edit:
Oh, I just realized that you no longer have fresh cones. Yeah, the bitterness test is your best bet.

Yep, agree that cascades have the square profile. I also notice a decidedly different leaf shape with cascades....more of a single-lobed leaf where most hops are more of a 3-lobed leaf.

Well now that I look at it, my Hallertauers look exactly the same as the "nuggets". I think I have 2 cascades! Man.... stupid herb plant shop.

That's funny, because my second round of burs on my cascade plants are looking like nugget cones. rounder, fatter, lighter green. my plants are separated by 15 feet...so there is no way they could have...hmmm.

Back