propane stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickolas388

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about moving away from stovetop brewing. I'm looking into some outdoor propane stoves now. What brand/model stoves do you use? Thanks, nick

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up a King Kooker double burner propane stove - brewed with it for the first time on Saturday - it's perfect. Each burner is 54,000 BTU, and it's solidly built - brought my wort to a boil quickly.

211N2edTFoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: King Kooker CS29 30-Inch Two-Burner Outdoor Cook Stove: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Watch the price, it fluctuates daily - I picked mine up for 89 bucks with Prime 2-day shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to find a good propane cooker.. I;ve looked at the bayou classics but they seem to get mixed reviews, including that they sound like a jet engine.. not sure I want to listen to that for 90 min.

I'll mostly be doing 5 gallon batches, but will occasionally do a 10 gallon batch and I'd like to keep the cooker under $100 if possible as my wife is already giving me a hard time about what I'm spending on HB kit. The king kooker double burner kit could work if the price dips under $100 again.. what other cookers come highly recommended?

BadAss :rockin:

I hope to get one of those at some point... Until then, I just use the two Blichmann burners without issue. They are damned near silent even at full open. Where other burners sound like a jet engine, mine are stealth. With the design, they get my keggle up to a boil quickly too. IMO, worth the cost to get them.

I'm planning an upgrade to the Blichmann burner, too. I know they cost about 3 times what the Banjo burners do, but I know I'm not likely to need to replace it.

Hey modernlifeisandy. Do you still like the King Kooker? Any troubles?

It's been great! The only issue has been my kettle, actually. I use a 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer, and because there is very little headspace I need to keep the flame low. The burner has a habit of sputtering out from wind, even with the windscreen - but I also brew in a very windy area. I have a keggle now, so I can crank the burner and not worry about that. Other than that, it's been great!

I had a Bayou Classic banjo cooker briefly, then switched to a Blichmann. In addition to being quieter I am pretty sure the Blichmann is more efficient. The burner on the banjo was too far away from the bottom of the pot. Fuel usage on the blichmann seems a lot less, and I don't have to turn it up as high.

Just put together the Brinkman burner. 100,000 btu's Boy, does that thing cook. Burned the paint off and got 7 gals of water going in no time. Didn't time it but it was about 20 minutes... from tap to boil. Home Depot has a couple of Brinkman's.. One comes with a 10qt pot and basket. That one is only about 40k btu. The other one that specifically states to NOT use it as a turkey fryer.. that's the 100k Btu. Awesome.

The Blichmann burner is soooo quiet. I have a Banjo as well and it works fine, but it sounds like a jet engine taking off, even when the damper is adjusted.

++++1 on the Blichmann. I started w/ the burner on legs it's VERY quiet & efficient. I can take 8 gallons from cold to boil in around 20 minutes.

Back