Diacetyl Ban in CA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never realized i was poisoning myself with my love of microwave popcorn.

People make fun of me for my tinfoil hat, but this is the stuff that I rage against.

Before today, I did not know that diacetyl was really harmful to you. However, I always maintained that just because we don't know the effects of something doesn't mean it's not bad for you. My comment is always, "Who knows that the next DDT will be?" Or the "next diacetyl" or "the next asbestos". jeebus. how many times do we need to go through this?

I'm not some granola-crunching birkenstock-wearing hippie, but I don't think you have to be to generally recognize that science may be able to make food better, but they will never be able to make better food. Artificial Butter? Jeez... anybody who really thought this was a good idea must have been raised on margarine. Anyone who's tasted real, smooth, creamy, delicious salted butter understands that there is really no substitute.

Toot said:
Anyone who's tasted real, smooth, creamy, delicious salted butter understands that there is really no substitute.

There lies the problem. Many people only know the microwave variety sad as it is. Some get a little bit (but not much) closer with Cinema popcorn...but it is just as lame imo.

Diacetyl is a natural component of real butter: <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=532094&dopt=Abstract>

We just ought not to snort butter. It's bad for the lungs. Though probably helps keep the nasal passages moist.

one thing we homebrewers have in common is the awareness, that you CAN, in fact, prepare things for yourself. you don't have to live on a commune and wear clothes made of muslin to realize the benefits of quality and wholesomeness in making something from scratch. How many people out there realize that if you want popcorn, all you have to do is take dried corn kernels and APPLY HEAT in some way or another. duh! ...so now people are getting respiratory diseases because of a "convenient" product that really isn't any more convenient than the "old" way.

I CAN'T WAIT for them to find something wrong with B/M/C.

*stepping off of soapbox now*

Back