Your favorite dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdeck02

Reaction score
What hop is your favorite to dry hop with and why? Describe their aroma profile, if you will. I'm debating what I want to dry hop with for my APA that's in primary right now. I love a piney earthy mix, but I'm not sure how well that would go with my APA since I've flavored and aroma hopped the wort with cascade. Should I just stick with cascade for the dry hop or could you suggest something else? Just looking for ideas.

FYI, my IBU's for my APA are approx. 40. Not a big APA, just want a great aroma!

I love a grapefruit aroma too, but I really want something earthy and piney that will go great with my cascade aroma/flavoring additions. Further FYI, I did .50 oz cascade @ 15min, 1.0 oz cascade @ 5 min, and .50 oz cascade @ 2min.

I vote chinook. My second choice would be northern brewer.

I find chinook to be very piney when the beer is young, and I usually try to move through dry hopped beer fast. A lot of people describe it as woody or smokey, but all I've noticed from it is the smell of fresh cut doug fir.

For the last couple of American IPA's I've done, I flavored with cascade and amarillo, but for a twist, I dry hop with a bunch of SAAZ and Chinook. Neat profile that most don't quite expect. I love the spice of SAAZ
Cheers

I love Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin.

I love the fruitiness of both. Amarillo has that great citrusy quality and the NS hops smell like over ripe pineapples and passion fruit.

Nugget. love the earthy, flowery smell. this is unusual for dry hopping I know, but I did it once on a whim and now I'm hooked.

After a bit of research, I'm thinking Willamette will do the job nicely for the aroma profile I'm looking for, piney/earth. Although, I'm considering mixing some saaz in there to to add some spice. Thoughts?

I checked out this thread, thinking "Great! This'll help me decide what to dry hop my APA with"

But alas, as usual, there's a million different suggestions...

I just kegged a couple cornys of an APA that uses some Crystal 20L and Honey Malt for specialty grains.... and Magnum, Cascade, and Willamette... Was thinking of dry hopping one of them...

Tried the hydro sample as I kegged, and the beer is freakin' wonderful.. Has a nice 'smokey' flavor... can't wait to drink it..

Brewing BM's centennial blonde today, which uses centennial and cascade.. Was wondering if I should use one of those while I have the bags open, or something else..

I have Magnum, Cascade, Chinook, Warrior, Centennial, and Willamette on hand...

r8rphan said:
I checked out this thread, thinking "Great! This'll help me decide what to dry hop my APA with"

But alas, as usual, there's a million different suggestions...

I just kegged a couple cornys of an APA that uses some Crystal 20L and Honey Malt for specialty grains.... and Magnum, Cascade, and Willamette... Was thinking of dry hopping one of them...

Tried the hydro sample as I kegged, and the beer is freakin' wonderful.. Has a nice 'smokey' flavor... can't wait to drink it..

Brewing BM's centennial blonde today, which uses centennial and cascade.. Was wondering if I should use one of those while I have the bags open, or something else..

I have Magnum, Cascade, Chinook, Warrior, Centennial, and Willamette on hand...

I've decided to use Willamette in my APA, but I brewed a black IPA not too long ago with some warrior for bittering and aroma ,and wow, such a rich, sweet, floral and lemony aroma! I really liked warrior for dry hopping, but I'm really wanting the piney and earthy aroma that I expect to get from the Willamette.

Has anyone ever used Saaz in an APA?

Good choice! I've used Willamette alot for last minute and post boil hopping and really like the result. I'm sure dry hopping will be excellent.

I wouldn't call Willamette piney at all,never tasted that from them. But the little bit of spiciness under the earthy flavor of it is nice. I've noticed that it isn't "floral" as some lists say,but rather,seems to brighten the lemon grass flavors/aromas I get from Kent Golding. As a matter of fact,the earthy/spicy quality can have a sort of over ripe fruit background. It mixed quite well indeed with the buiscotti like malt flavor I got from the Munton's extra light DME.

Back