Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some Hasbeen

Reaction score
How long should I shoot for in lagering my first attempt at a Pilsner? I had it in the primary for approx 10 days at a temp of generally 50 degrees (w/ +/- of 1-5 degrees). I then transferred it to a corni for use as the secondary and currently have it lagering at a relative steady temperature of approx 36 degrees. It's been in the keg/secondary for approx 2 1/2 weeks. I've heard 3 months or so in the secondary is a pretty fair estimate. Does that sort of time table sound right to anyone who would know? Anyone wanna throw their 2 pennies worth in there? A tip or two is appreciated if anyone has one of those to toss around as well.

FYI: the recipe was a pretty standard Pilsner recipe. Should be a pretty hoppy Pilsner if all goes well. I'll get the recipe (I'm typing this from work so I don't have access right now) if that weighs in to anyone's advice they are willing to provide.

I'm no lager expert---my first true lager is currently in my lagerator---but from what I hear, the lower the temps, the longer the lagering. I'd say a couple months should be enough, though. The longer the better, of course, but you could get away with 2.

Is it better to have the bulk of the lagering process in the secondary-or can it be bottled first and then stored awa cold for an extended time?

Some Hasbeen said:
I had it in the primary for approx 10 days at a temp of generally 50 degrees (w/ +/- of 1-5 degrees).

Was the beer done fermenting after 10 days? What was the SG reading when you started cooling it down?

Kai

boo boo said:
Thinking the same thing Kai. My lagers aren't ready for secondary until GENERALLY 2 to 3 weeks after pitching yeast.

It was actually in the primary for 17 days (2 1/2 weeks approx). I was thinking about the length in the secondary while at work and wanted to get a quick question out to see what everyone thought. I had pretty good activity for the first 10 days which tapered off to the point where I felt comfortable transferring. Also, I have 2 kids under the age of 4. When you get a free night to transfer, brew, anything, you take advantage of the opportunity.

Back