Stout critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think. All good and bad information always helps

.5# roasted barley
.5# black patent
.5# flaked barley

7# plain dme

1 oz cluster-60
.5 oz east kent goldings-45
.5 oz east kent goldings-15
.5 oz east kent goldings-5

1oz licroice root-15
irish moss-15

Seems like 1/2-1lb of Crystal might help balance those Dark malts out. It might be a bit over the top burnt tasting with out sweetness in there. But I've never made a Stout without Crystal, so I could be way off.

I've made stouts like this and they turned out good. All depends upon if you like what the grains you are thinking of adding will do to the beer (coffee-like). I wouldn't go any higher than 8 oz of black patent, though.

First, flaked barley must be mashed for anything useful to be imparted to the beer. Merely steeping flaked grains gives you nothing but messy glop, I'm afraid.

Second, I suggest you substitute Chocolate Malt for the Black Patent. Black Patent has a quite harsh, astringent flavor which I find objectionable in Stout if it's too obvious; a half-pound in five gallons will make it very obvious indeed.

Third, Stout need have no balancing sweetness. Guinness, perhaps the most beloved Stout in the world, has none. The Guinness grist is 70% pale malt, 20% flaked barley, and 10% roasted barley. That's it. Now, they mash, so they can get the full body and stuff from the flaked barley. That said, your grist bill does look as if it'll end up a bit thin. I'd add some CaraPils - say a half pound to a pound - to provide some body and mouthfeel. If your extract is Briess, use a half pound. If your extract is any other manufacturer, use more. (Briess include CaraPils in their Gold and Pilsner extracts.)

Fourth, I love the idea of the licorice root. If you add flavor/aroma hops, however, the flavors stand a good chance of being muddled. Further, flavor/aroma hops get really lost in Stout, especially earthy, pungent varieties like Goldings. Were I you, I'd omit the Goldings; save them for a Bitter or ESB where they'll really have a chance to shine through.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Third, Stout need have no balancing sweetness. Guinness, perhaps the most beloved Stout in the world, has none. The Guinness grist is 70% pale malt, 20% flaked barley, and 10% roasted barley. That's it. Now, they mash, so they can get the full body and stuff from the flaked barley. That said, your grist bill does look as if it'll end up a bit thin. I'd add some CaraPils - say a half pound to a pound - to provide some body and mouthfeel. If your extract is Briess, use a half pound. If your extract is any other manufacturer, use more. (Briess include CaraPils in their Gold and Pilsner extracts.)

Well unfortunately because I am so inpatient I brewed before I was able to read all of your great advice. The beer smelled great. I did cut back on the roasted barley and had a very nice sutle coffee smell. One thing I can not figure out is that I did not have a very dark turnout. At first it was very brown like a brown ale, once I finished and got it cooled and into the primary it has a very dark ruby red red color to it. Still smells and looks great. Hopefully will taste great as well. I just can't figure out why it is not darker.

Latest posts

Back