Beer for my father

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
My father has tried a few of my homebrews and has approved of all of them. (no small task) but now he has been talking about a beer he used to drink "back in the day" but he can't get it anymore. Labatt's IPA. I am not a fan of IPA's so I would have no idea where to start whit a recipe. I am an extract brewer. any help?

Thanks

Hmm, lots of hops or "some" hops with high alphas. I'm going to take a guess that Labatt's version was probably more of a regular pale ale by today's craft brew standards. If you lay something on him with a IBU of 60+, his face might shrivel up on first sip.

I agree. And being that the offices at the Canadian border (except in Quebec) have pictures of the Queen of England still posted, I'd say it would lean towards an English IPA which is definitely a little less hopped and might use a base grain like Maris Otter and a British yeast strain.

Might try a couple commercial IPAs and see which ones he likes. Then, you can post here and see if The Hive can come up with a similar recipe for you.

Always good to have an excuse to drink with your dad.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I agree. And being that the offices at the Canadian border (except in Quebec) have pictures of the Queen of England still posted, I'd say it would lean towards an English IPA which is definitely a little less hopped and might use a base grain like Maris Otter and a British yeast strain.
That's a pretty broad jump.

Back