First kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerico2100

Reaction score
So today i began my build on my first kegerator. I have absolutly no experience working with kegs so this should be interesting at best. I decided to go with the GE 7.0 cu ft chest freezer from sams and a 2 tap kit (leaving room for expansion) from keg connection ( http://stores.kegconnection.com/De ... .bok?no=47 ) with the upgraded taps to the perlicks. So far i've removed the lid and taken my measurments for my collar. I'm going to do a 6in collar and drill my holes in that. Time table is as follows:

Friday: Buy wood and stain for collar.
Saturday: Paint freezer black, cut and stain wood for collar.
Sunday: Assemble collar, attach to freezer, install the rest of the keg kit, fill first keg with brew and begin carbination!

I'm hoping to be done with the build in time to watch preseason football sunday afternoon. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, please by all means pass them along. I'll make sure to take lots of pics and post them at completion.

EXCELLENT!

Sounds like a great setup...

The only word of advice I might add...is to start with a longer run of liquid tubing than usually comes with a kit. I start with 10' of 3/16" tubing. Once your kegs are cold, and your regulator is set for 12-14psi...do some pour tests...and shorten your tubing until you get the desired flow rate without foam!

The objective here is to "balance" the system where you can leave the pressure on your regulator at the same setting for dispensing AND storing...whilst keeping the level of carbonation in your kegs at the optimum.

When I started out...I had to go through a litany before I could pour the beer...bleed off the pressure, set the regulator down to 5 psi, pour the beer, pour the beer, up the pressure on the regulator to 12-14psi for storage...what a headache!

Now it's just place a glass under the spout and pull!

Let us know if you run into any problems!

Back