Adding 1lbs of 2 Row for the fear of poor crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Last night I recieved my package for the Sam Adams Bostom Ale clone. This is my first attempt at AG...can't wait.

My question is, the crush didn't look the best (lack of flour consistancy) and I don't have the means or patience to re-crush 8 1/2 lbs of grains at this point. I was thinking that maybe I could compensate the poor crush by adding an extra pound of 2 row to the bill.

Do you guys think this is wise or will it eek up the reciepe?

Here is the reciepe:

8lbs - 2 Row
1/2lbs - Crystal 10L

Hops

60 min. - 1/2 oz Glacier & 1 oz of Golding
15 min. - 1/2 oz Glacier
5 min. - 1 oz Saaz

S.G. 1.045
F.G. 1.012

Thanks for any input

Personally...I wouldn't worry and just go ahead and brew...you get what you get.

IF you wanted to worry about it: I would go ahead and do your AG with what came with the kit. After the sparge, take a hydrometer reading and calculate your efficiency and also calculate what your OG will be after you boil.

If you are too low, then I would add some DME or LME to bring the OG to where you want it. Or, boil off more water to hit your OG

Adding DME/LME at the end of the boil is a easy way to boost your OG and you can figure out exactly how much to add to boost your OG to where you want it. Can't really do that with adding extra grains to the mash since you don't know what your efficiency is.

Good luck!

Really depends on you and your system. How you gonna crush the extra pound? Until you brew a few batches and know your system and the crush required, sorrry, but there really is no definite answer.

Short answer, if you prefer your brew on the heavier side, by all means toss it in, if not than I would abstain till you have more data on your methods.

A pound of grain won't really change that much IMO.

As others said, you can just go ahead with what you've got. I have added extra 1-2 lbs of grain when brewing AG, since my efficiency hasn't been super-high. Either way, your beer will turn out tasting good.

OT:

Interesting you are using the saaz for flavor. I make an BA clone similar to that recipe but use spalt for bittering and fuggle/EK Gold for flavor. What yeast are you using? I like East Coast Ale or Irish Ale, fermented really cold, 60F if you can do it.

Is yours a kit? I based my recipe off info from thier website. Check mine out in my recipe index, it comes out very similar to the real thing in color and flavor IMO.

Judging by the input, I think I will stick to the original reciepe. Thinking I should do a couple batches per instructions to judge how well my effiency is. I plan on doing Bobby M batch sparge method. All my equipment is set, just need to put the ingredients together. Thanks to all.

OT:

Interesting you are using the saaz for flavor. I make an BA clone similar to that recipe but use spalt for bittering and fuggle/EK Gold for flavor. What yeast are you using? I like East Coast Ale or Irish Ale, fermented really cold, 60F if you can do it.

Is yours a kit? I based my recipe off info from thier website. Check mine out in my recipe index, it comes out very similar to the real thing in color and flavor IMO.

Thats interesting! I got my clone from Austin Homebrew and I am actually planning on using s-04 for this one. I think after I make this one, I will try your reciepe and compare. I will have to let you know. +1 on fermenting on the low side, my basement is perfect right now sitting @ 62 deg or so.
Cheers

Just thinking, if this turns out, we should swap a bottle and judge.

I learned quickly in my early days as a AG brewer to always keep some DME on hand whether for bottling or to adjust gravity. Thank god it hasnt been an issue for a while (knock on wood)

Back