My harvest and drying screens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykayel

Reaction score
Well thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and show you how my first year Cascades did, two plants yeilded 6.2 oz before dryied, I'll let you know what that comes out to after a day or two when they are dried. I made my screen out of 2x2's and a roll of screen material from Lowes for about $8, I made two screens and the next time I'm back there I'll buy another 2x2 as I have left over screen material. I wasn't sure if the fan on low would blow them around once they're dried so I placed my scond screen on top.

hop-harvest1.jpg

hop-harvest2.jpg

That looks nice. I think I may do the same thing next year with the double screen thing. It will stop the cat from allowing her curiosity to mess with my beer ingredients. :)

:tank:

I'm going to have to make some screens for my drying. This year I used paper (not fiberglass) furnace filters for my drying screens. They worked great for the drying but it was difficult to collect the hops off of the screens. The dried hops stuck to the pleats in the filters.

I made an open ended coroplast box just big enough to fit the filters and stacked the filters with different hop varieties on each filter. I then sat this with a fan blowing up through it.
It dried the hops in a couple days and was quick, easy and cheap to put together. However as I noted it made packaging the dried hops a little more difficult and messy.

Still I put about 600g of dried hops in the freezer and I probably have about twice that I still need to pick. It surprised me when i went to pick that most of the cones were not yet ripe.

Craig

Back