Help me make a decision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a 4 cuft chest freezer for $80 and a full size upright refrigarator with top freezer for $75.

I would like to use a small freezer for fermentation but the ice box I could make a kegerator out of (this would be the last piece I need to start kegging).

I am leaning toward the freezer right now.

Give me some opinions and help me decide.

Well, I'd say look at your fermentation procedures first. If you're happy with the way it is for now, then go with the kegorator.

4 cubes is rather small unless you only wanted to do 1- 5 gallon batch at a time. I'm not sure of your location but in most major cities you can get cheap large chest freezers on CL. Got my 23CF for $90, and saw them for free if I could have traveled 30 miles to the other side of the valley. I too would go for the freezer and temp control first, you can always keep your keg in there until you build your keezer/kegerator. 65* beer beats 80* beer.

I am 60 miles from Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The cheap freezers come up every no and then, but unless you are constantly looking at CL, they do not last long. I would rather the freezer, but will take what I can get right now.

I ended up passing on both of these items and scored a brand new 14.8 cuft chest freezer for $150. so now I have the final piece for the keezer plus I am thinking, and correct me if I am wrong, I should be able to do some lagering at 40-42 degrees (serving temps).

I am 60 miles from Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The cheap freezers come up every no and then, but unless you are constantly looking at CL, they do not last long. I would rather the freezer, but will take what I can get right now.

Covington? Labadieville? Thibadaux? Amite? Morgan City?

I ended up passing on both of these items and scored a brand new 14.8 cuft chest freezer for $150. so now I have the final piece for the keezer plus I am thinking, and correct me if I am wrong, I should be able to do some lagering at 40-42 degrees (serving temps).

That's my understanding as well. I have a bench freezer that I am just waiting to get the temp controller for and a-lagering-i-will go...a-lagering-i-will go...Hi Ho the Merry O, a-lagering-i-will go!!!!

:tank:

Back