Cops bust a kegger....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Gestapo... erm I mean Police Officers weren't doing their job very well if they couldn't find a reason to charge someone with SOMETHING....

PeteOz77 said:
Those Gestapo... erm I mean Police Officers weren't doing their job very well if they couldn't find a reason to charge someone with SOMETHING....
Not even a disturbing the peace? Slackers.

Back when I was in high school I knew someone who threw a party and it got busted by the police. He was so angry that the following week he threw a rootbeer keg party. They than purposely called the cops on themselves so they would come to bust it up and realize that it was only soda that was being served. The cops saw where the call came from and busted the kid for intentionally distrupting the local police force. I can't remember what exactly happened to him but i do remember that daddy was a lawyer.

Hell I say as long as the cops came and there was no alcohol or drugs found let 'em be. As for the cars that were parked illegally on the street thats a different story. But IMO as long as the kids aren't doing anything illegal give 'em a break. At least they weren't out drinking and doing drugs that night. Once cops start actually busting kids at clean parties what are they gonna do?

Another example of stupid laws-

God forbid the cops be doing some real police work. Im sure there are some rapes, murders and meth labs to check out.

I'd like to know what the probabe cause was that allowed them to force them all to submit to a breathalyzer. Is it now assumed that any large group of people under 21 are probably drunk?

kornkob said:
I'd like to know what the probabe cause was that allowed them to force them all to submit to a breathalyzer. Is it now assumed that any large group of people under 21 are probably drunk?

Maybe they just asked the kids, and they complied. You don't need PC to force a test if the kids just did it when asked.

kornkob said:

Well seeing as how the whole party was in response to kids being suspended from sports for drinking out of red plastic cups, I'd say yes, yes it is.

MA_Brewer said:
Maybe they just asked the kids, and they complied. You don't need PC to force a test if the kids just did it when asked.

Under 18? If so, the kids do not have the authority to submit themselves to testing. Did the cops ask each kid's parents for permission to test??? I didn't think so.

shafferpilot said:
Under 18? If so, the kids do not have the authority to submit themselves to testing. Did the cops ask each kid's parents for permission to test??? I didn't think so.
I'm no expert here, but I don't buy that - For example - around here you can drive when you are 17 - if a cop pulled you over, (at 17) because they thought you were driving erradically, they wouldn't ask your parents before giving you a test, would they?

I think the point was to make the cops look like retards by giving them all tests. I think they all wanted to be tested because it made their point.

For example - around here you can drive when you are 17 - if a cop pulled you over, (at 17) because they thought you were driving erradically, they wouldn't ask your parents before giving you a test, would they?

Yes- Part of being a minor.

I use to be a deputy sheriff before I joined the Air Force. The cops at this party did have PC for the test. As for the consent from a parent. Its not needed. Just like MA Brewer said. If a kid (under the age of 18) gets pulled over and there is PC that he/she is intoxicated in some form parental consent is not needed. The reason behind that is the time it may take to get the consent, the evadince may become compramised. IE sober up.

nitrousjunkie said:
I use to be a deputy sheriff before I joined the Air Force. The cops at this party did have PC for the test. As for the consent from a parent. Its not needed. Just like MA Brewer said. If a kid (under the age of 18) gets pulled over and there is PC that he/she is intoxicated in some form parental consent is not needed. The reason behind that is the time it may take to get the consent, the evadince may become compramised. IE sober up.

That seems a bit odd.... so the law is flexible when it comes to one type of crime but nt another? Oh! I forgot, we are talking about the demon alcohol...where the rules don't necerrarily apply....

Some root beer has small amounts of alcohol in it, sugar fermented to carbonate. It would have been pretty funny if one or two of those kids had actually failed the test.

What bothers me about this situation (I read an article regarding this some time last week) is that supposedly the school called the police after finding out about the "kegger". Why is it that the school has any authority over these kids after 3:30 (or whenever class gets out)? I've never understood why code of conduct rules can be enforced. I don't advocate underage drinking or anything, I just don't understand why a kid can't play football/volleyball/basketball/whatever if they get caught drinking off school grounds.

uwjester said:
Some root beer has small amounts of alcohol in it, sugar fermented to carbonate. It would have been pretty funny if one or two of those kids had actually failed the test.

What bothers me about this situation (I read an article regarding this some time last week) is that supposedly the school called the police after finding out about the "kegger". Why is it that the school has any authority over these kids after 3:30 (or whenever class gets out)? I've never understood why code of conduct rules can be enforced. I don't advocate underage drinking or anything, I just don't understand why a kid can't play football/volleyball/basketball/whatever if they get caught drinking off school grounds.

Not sure about everywhere, but in Minnesota, the students sign a contract (Yeah I know it's not legally binding) stating that they promise not to drink or use drugs. It's a requirement of the Minnesota State High School League I believe. So while there is no LEGAL obligation or recourse, you are breaking a promise, and you are held accountable by being excluded from a certain number of events if you break that promise. You are not allowed to compete in any MSHSL Events if you don't sign the contract.

I feel the same about that. The school had no right to further punish the kids. sorta like double jeperdy. We had a situation sorta like that when I was in HS. But the players still got to play. They just had a hard ass 2-a-days. Then again in TX, HS football is a very serious sport....

I had to sign the code of conduct too for soccer and band (yep, geek). At the time, I didn't think much of it. It really wasn't an issue. Looking back though, I don't see how they have the authority. I guess the argument is that they would have been inviting me to participate and they could always revoke the invitation. It just seems like more nanny-state interference.

If you check out their web site, it's pretty hardcore about playing HS Sport being a PRIVILEGE. I guess they figure that since they are the governing body, they can expect a certain level of acceptable behaviour from the participants. I think they are vary has ass about parent's behaviours, swearing, unsportsmanlike behaviour etc. ANd I think it's a good thing! Not just the drinking, but there is nothing wronge with saying "These are rules and expectations, should you choose not to follow the rules or live up to the expectation, then you are no longer allowed to compete in our sanctioned events."

Funny thing is, Basketball and Wrestling suffered severely in my town, because Ice Hockey wasn't part of the MSHSL, and all of the guys that wanted to party and drink played hockey instead of the sanctioned sports.

I agree that the school needs to regulate the student's behavior while they are responsible for the student and while the student is representing the school, but I think the school's responsibility and control ends when the parents' responsibility begins.

And, yeah our non-school hockey team was a bit rowdier than the football team, but we basically brought those guys in to play. None of the hockey players that I knew of were locals.

The school has the right to make these rules, because it is THEIR reputation on the line. When a football team gets busted for throwing a kegger, the headline reads "Lincoln High School Football team busted!"

Police get away with questioning, searching, and investigating minors because no one understands that it isn't implicitly legal. Citizens don't care! THAT is why it is ok. BTW even an adult does NOT have to get out of the car, walk the line, follow the pen, etc. without it being on THEIR terms!! All you have to do is say these words, "I will NOT submit to any testing or investigation without the representation of my parent/lawyer." That's it. If it takes two hours for your lawyer to get there, so what. If the cops are a bunch of power hungry *****es and choose to force you out of the car, don't worry, they won't have their jobs for very long and any evidence they collect will be in the garbage can by the next morning (speaking from personal experience in a similar situation here). Children do not have the authority to provide any type of permission! Police (like so many others) will do what they want to do...... that doesn't make it appropriate or legal.

shafferpilot said:
The school has the right to make these rules, because it is THEIR reputation on the line. When a football team gets busted for throwing a kegger, the headline reads "Lincoln High School Football team busted!"

Police get away with questioning, searching, and investigating minors because no one understands that it isn't implicitly legal. Citizens don't care! THAT is why it is ok. BTW even an adult does NOT have to get out of the car, walk the line, follow the pen, etc. without it being on THEIR terms!! All you have to do is say these words, "I will NOT submit to any testing or investigation without the representation of my parent/lawyer." That's it. If it takes two hours for your lawyer to get there, so what. If the cops are a bunch of power hungry *****es and choose to force you out of the car, don't worry, they won't have their jobs for very long and any evidence they collect will be in the garbage can by the next morning (speaking from personal experience in a similar situation here). Children do not have the authority to provide any type of permission! Police (like so many others) will do what they want to do...... that doesn't make it appropriate or legal.

I am neither arguing for or against, just want to point out...

In the state of Wisconsin, operation of a motor vehicle creates implied consent laws, providing that by operating a motor vehicle, it is then implied that you consent to sobriety testing.

Refusal to submit to testing is in and of itself a criminal violation. Refusal can also be used against you later to stiffen penalties if you are found guilty.

just my 2 cents on the facts.

In the state of Wisconsin, operation of a motor vehicle creates implied consent laws, providing that by operating a motor vehicle, it is then implied that you consent to sobriety testing.

Refusal to submit to testing is in and of itself a criminal violation. Refusal can also be used against you later to stiffen penalties if you are found guilty.

While that is true- It is still your legal right to have a lawer present. You are still consenting but are using your right to counsel as afforded by the constitution.
Also here is the problem- Even if you pass the Field sobriety Test, and breathlyser they can still arrest you and take you for blood testing. Ive seen it happen.

Your rights trump their need for revenue.

MikeFlynn74 said:
While that is true- It is still your legal right to have a lawer present. You are still consenting but are using your right to counsel as afforded by the constitution.
Also here is the problem- Even if you pass the Field sobriety Test, and breathlyser they can still arrest you and take you for blood testing. Ive seen it happen.

Your rights trump their need for revenue.

i totally agree, however, by refusing, and requesting a lawyer, you would already then be under arrest, and per miranda, would be advised of your right to counsel.

I guess ultimately for myself. while i applaud young adults standing up for what they believe in, the whole thing went to far, and wasted resources better utilized elsewhere.

It's true. how many DUI's cruised on home while those cops were playing around with a bunch of sugar-infused teens.

I remember a time when the worst thing that happened to a kid who was caught drinking underage was the rath of dad when the cops dropped him off at home saying, "Good luck, kid, your pops is gonna kill you!"

and the thing is, I'm not that old!

uwjester said:

When I was in high school here in Northen VA, the rule was that if you get into a fight, off school grounds, after school time, hell even on the weekend, that you were up for review and were more then likely to be suspended.

Latest posts

Back