2nd Batch Fermenting; Some questionss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danok1

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch last Sunday. It is an extract kit clone of SA Boston Lager (though it came with ale yeast). I don't have the ability to properly do a lager right now, so I used WLP810 to make a "CA Common" style (maybe I'll call this batch "Boston Common").

It's been fermenting for 6 days, and the airlock is still bubbling away (about once every 4 seconds). I know the airlock is not necessarily an indicator of fermentation, but this seems to be decent evidence of active fermentation.

Does this yeast normally show active fermentation for this long?

Also, I noticed a sulfur smell coming from the airlock. Is this common for this yeast? Since the smell is coming out of the fermenter, I assume it won't be in my beer when it's done. Is this correct, or do I have reason for concern?

Thanks,
Dan

sulfur smell is very common for lager yeasts. And I would expect it to ferment for awhile, as lager yeasts generally don't power through the fermentation. Then again if you are fermenting like a california common, then it should be at a higher temp and ferment faster. What temperature do you have it at right now?

Thanks, Dawgmatic. I figured it's normal, but just thought I'd check with more experienced folks.

-Dan

Well, the beer is finished. I bottled it 3 and a half weeks ago, and cracked the first one last night. Nicely crisp and clean, with just the right amount of hop. I think I will covert the recipe to all grain and do it again!

-Dan

image-366618867.jpg

Back