Er... did I mess up doing the oxide layer on my aluminum pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAvocado

Reaction score
Not trying to debate aluminum vs. SS... was going to start my first brew today but this is what I got after boiling water for ~1 hour and 15 minutes:

4zu9E.jpg

I've been searching online and it looks like everyone else has slightly darker oxidized layer, but not to the extend that mine is :cross:

Question... Just brewed my first batch yesterday all went well but I didn't pre oxidize or season my Aluminum pot before starting.... Should I just toss it now? How bad will it be? Hate to wait thru fermenting when it will probably just taste horrible. Will it kill me? Thanks on advance for any replies!

Question... Just brewed my first batch yesterday all went well but I didn't pre oxidize or season my Aluminum pot before starting.... Should I just toss it now? How bad will it be? Hate to wait thru fermenting when it will probably just taste horrible. Will it kill me? Thanks on advance for any replies!

It won't kill you.

You won't know how it's going to taste, or IF you'll have any off flavors until it's done fermenting and either ready to go to glass, or bottle.

You should have an oxide layer in the kettle/pot now, just don't scrub it off. Also, if you put any holes in the pot (making it a kettle with a ball valve) be sure to boil some water in it (at least cover the area you put the hole in).

Great!! I changed up from a way to small SS pot to this new 24q. Yea there is an oxide ring in there now! Thanks for the quick response!!

5gal batch with a 3 gal boil old pot was 16q SS pot just didn't want a boil over, took a lot to convince the wife to let me do it over the stove, potable burner will soon be on the way!!!

5gal batch with a 3 gal boil old pot was 16q SS pot just didn't want a boil over, took a lot to convince the wife to let me do it over the stove, potable burner will soon be on the way!!!

When you get the burner, upgrade to either a 32qt or 40qt (or larger) kettle. You can use the smaller one to heat the sparge water (for all grain)... :D

Now if you want a really nasty oxidation layer, like OMG I'm gonna hork nasty, try cooking okra in an aluminum pot. The sides get jet-black and the okra becomes one huge, gluey, gelatinous mass blacker then squid ink.

We threw out the pot.

Now if you want a really nasty oxidation layer, like OMG I'm gonna hork nasty, try cooking okra in an aluminum pot. The sides get jet-black and the okra becomes one huge, gluey, gelatinous mass blacker then squid ink.

We threw out the pot.

That's a crime against pots everywhere... :eek:

Hmmm.... Mine looks NOTHING like that...my oxidation layer is much lighter. I wasn't patient enough to get a full boil going in mine so i dumped the water out, and I read that you could just put the kettle in the oven on 350 for 10 minutes and it would be fine. So I did that and brewed away....hope the beer is good enough :p

Back