The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough on the bidding... I don't claim to be a Seattle expert, I must have just misunderstood something.

However...
The problem for US soccer is the appearance of match fixing in this entire process.

Appropriate+reaction+found+_6934bd42213c61d9f8508b327d9993b0.jpg

"These were sealed bids that were determined to be "equal", but never disclosed. A coin toss was done, but never seen, and the game was awarded to KC. It doesn't hurt that members of the KC organization sit on the board for this... Just poor administrative form. In this day and age when everything is on the net, there is no real excuse not to show the coin toss. Also please note.. the first Seattle cup win was in DC not Seattle."

To your "however" note I said "appearance" of match fixing. They declared the bids "Equal"? That's questionable with a 68,000 seat stadium vs. a 18,000 seat stadium that in the year prior had 40,000+ in attendence. There was no physical way KC could match the bid "equally". Then it went to a coin toss? A coin toss nobody saw? What might you do to end the suspect of match fixing in this case? At a minimum, record the coin toss and publish it. VERY easy to do. Did the KC administration who sit on the commitee for USsoccer recluse themselves? maybe they tossed the coin? Again, easily solved. It was the fact they kept things somewhat secret that they didn't need to that raises the question.

And prior to this match Seattle "lost" 3 or 4 coin tosses for games, that nobody saw.... Transparency doesn't cost much and would have eliminated any question. Poor management decisions that lead to mistrust of an organization. warranted? maybe yes, maybe not. The problem "is" they can't prove fairness either way. While losing four coin tosses in a row is probable, is it likely? Simple video recordings with some newspaper or tv reporters in the room, would have taken doubt away.

Even with the mexicants shining a green laser in the goalies face.

I loved when Ian said that the refs and security needed to do something about it. Because finding that guy with a laser pointer in the stands is going to be SUCH a simple exercise.......

Haha i know ...... excuse me will ALL the people with lasers please stand up.

It's opening match day in the Premier League! Let's go Gunners! Grab a pint and let's go!

Fulham can stay at the Cottage
Southampton can stay at the Dell
And as for Tottenham hotspur
They can go to hell, to hell
So we'll drink, drink together
In praise of the AFC
Drink, drink together
In praise of the AFC

It's opening match day in the Premier League! Let's go Gunners! Grab a pint and let's go!

Fulham can stay at the Cottage
Southampton can stay at the Dell
And as for Tottenham hotspur
They can go to hell, to hell
So we'll drink, drink together
In praise of the AFC
Drink, drink together
In praise of the AFC

.......And Van Persie can go to Old Trafford. ;)

WOO! MLS matches start early today. Seattle are opening their full stadium again. The projected attendance is about 55,000 but that might be a low-ball. They were expecting roughly that many for SEAvLA but got 60,000+

Its a huge rival so i imagine itll be packed alot of canucks could come down.

I honestly didn't know anyone cared about mls...I live ten minutes from the fc Dallas stadium...guess I should check it out!

You certainly should, sethcros. Actually most of the chatter on here is about MLS and the USMNT/USWNT.

And the put away on a beautiful cross. Bye bye Vancouver thanks for playing.

Seattle is still looking dangerous. Also, fantasy points for Eddie Johnson! :rockin:

sethcros said:
Teves comes through. I'd love to see Southampton tie this up.

me too, both cuz I like underdogs and because one of the guys in my fantasy league had two man city defenders. :p

The one thing I hate about the Premier League is that going into it, I know that Arsenal realistically has no chance at the title when Man U., Man City and Chelsea can spend like drunken sailors on shore leave.

BrewKnurd said:
Eh, that was nothing compared to the final game of last season. :D

Yeah that game was insane. I was pulling for Southampton here. Good showin on their first game up.

Yeah that game was insane. I was pulling for Southampton here. Good showin on their first game up.

And just two seasons ago we were in the third tier having just been saved from near bankruptcy! It was a very heartening start to life back in the EPL. All the fans at Southampton are treating this like a win! LOL

And just two seasons ago we were in the third tier having just been saved from near bankruptcy! It was a very heartening start to life back in the EPL. All the fans at Southampton are treating this like a win! LOL

Btw, I dunno what Fox did to get a yellow during the celebration, but I think any celebration should have been legal for Southampton scoring their first goal back in the EPL against the defending champs on the road. :p

Btw, I dunno what Fox did to get a yellow during the celebration, but I think any celebration should have been legal for Southampton scoring their first goal back in the EPL against the defending champs on the road. :p

I leave to go eat at a pub near me and it was 2-1. I get there and they have it on the tv and it's 3-2. I said wtf?!

Back