New Product! Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this thing can help me maintain lager temps, I'm in. I currently use the swamp cooler method - the coolest i dare try is a kolsch (56 degrees min.), which is where things become a PITA (in Houston). I want lagers!

Noticed in your tests the outside temp is actually quite low. You able to run similar tests with a higher temp...where this product is intended to help? Say..with a temp outside the bag of 80 to 90 degress?

Would be nice to know how effective it is under varying conditions, especially since I'd be using a product like this in my garage and it can get quite warm in there.

Soooooo...any chance of this?

Hi All,
As requested please see the graph for an example with a warmer environment. This was a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter. This batch had 2x 2 liters and 2x to 4x 20oz changed every 24 hours. The wort was a little too chilled to begin with so ice was not added until 48 hours on Saturday. This batch used an English ale yeast with an ideal temp range of 59-75 degrees.

Cheers!

Cool Brewing Testing 3-1.jpg

Add me to the list of an interested party. I was wondering if you have experimented with adding water to the bag to act as a kind of swamp cooler? Even if it were halfway up the bag, with the frozen bottles, it would help pull heat out of the beer much more quickly. If I were to do this, it would be just to bring it down to the temp you want more quickly if you were lagering, then siphoning out the water once you've hit your temp... just a thought. In any case, I am definitely interested since the swamp cooler setup I use now takes up too much godamn space.

CoolBrewing said:
Hi All,
As requested please see the graph for an example with a warmer environment. This was a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter. This batch had 2x 2 liters and 2x to 4x 20oz changed every 24 hours. The wort was a little too chilled to begin with so ice was not added until 48 hours on Saturday. This batch used an English lager yeast with an ideal temp range of 59-75 degrees.

Cheers!

Looks great.

Add me to the list of an interested party. I was wondering if you have experimented with adding water to the bag to act as a kind of swamp cooler? Even if it were halfway up the bag, with the frozen bottles, it would help pull heat out of the beer much more quickly. If I were to do this, it would be just to bring it down to the temp you want more quickly if you were lagering, then siphoning out the water once you've hit your temp... just a thought. In any case, I am definitely interested since the swamp cooler setup I use now takes up too much godamn space.

Hehe, I was reading all the replies and also wanted to add about water. How thick is the material to make sure that its rip proof and therefore water proof.

My suggestion also to add some sort of carboy hauler to go on top of your cooler to be able to move your vessel while its inside.

Add me to the list of interested.

I also like the idea of filling it with water. I don't think it will hold water though. It is most likely sewn together with thread and not water tight. You might be able to put a large garbage bag in it to hold the water.

Hi All,

We did design the fermentation cooler with a 100% waterproof liner so they could be used with water if desired. In the initial testing the coolers were filled ½ way up with water for 2 weeks with no leaks. The exterior is polyester sewn together. This is similar to the material used for a typical backpack so it is tough.

The coolers however were not designed to be able to be moved while full of water and or carrying a carboy or fermenter.

That looks awesome! Living in an apartment makes finding space for fermentation an issue sometimes. This takes up little to no extra space from the looks of it. Keep me informed!

The more I think about the possibilities the better these things sound.

I have been thinking about converting an old fridge to fermentation chamber. That would cost at least 50 bucks for a controller, plus possibly a free frige. Plus a good bit of work to convert it plus random materials and electricity to run it.

This look simple and effective. I'll take 2. But get these out ASAP. Temps hitting 85 here today.

Also - Looks like the size could work for a corny. Take one of these and a corny, ice and picnic tap and you've got a protable keorator.

Hi All,

Just an update that we will have fermentation coolers available by the 2nd week of May! Also feel free to check out our website. www.cool-brewing.com . I will be sure to let you all know once we have coolers available!

Cheers!

Another benefit you may want to mention is the cool brew bag keeps the fermenter in the dark. This will help prevent skunk flavors/smells.

I use a glass carboy for fermentation. My kids keep leaving the light on in the room my fermenter is in. My most recent batch has a slight skunk smell. The cool brew bag would prevent this problem.

Another benefit you may want to mention is the cool brew bag keeps the fermenter in the dark. This will help prevent skunk flavors/smells.

I use a glass carboy for fermentation. My kids keep leaving the light on in the room my fermenter is in. My most recent batch has a slight skunk smell. The cool brew bag would prevent this problem.

Thanks for bringing that up! It will certainly block out any light getting to your carboy.

:mug:

Hello again!

I was just curious if you knew how much shipping is going to be? Thanks!

Love this idea.

My pin lock cornies that I ferment in are ~25" high, so it looks like it might fit and if it doesn't it will likely be close enough.

Love this idea.

My pin lock cornies that I ferment in are ~25" high, so it looks like it might fit and if it doesn't it will likely be close enough.

Thanks! The height of the cooler is 26.5” and will stretch an extra inch or two if needed. I would think your keg’s should work just fine. Give it a try and if it does not work we accept returns for a 100% refund within 60 days.

Cheers!

i just had an idea - what if...i used this for fermenting a lager - but i put it inside my regular fridge (at 36 degrees) - and instead of its purpose being to keep the cool temps inside, it functions to keep the cold out...possibly maintaining a perfect temp. for fermenting a lager, since the process produces its own bit of heat...?

i'm excited

Would this fit the standard 7.5 gallon bucket fermenters that come with starter kits?

Hi,

Our coolers should work with most 5, 6.5, 7.5 and 7.9 gallon plastic fermenters out there however the dimensions can vary from kit to kit. To be sure please check the dimensions of your fermenter and airlock. The size of our fermentation cooler is 21.5” X 26.5”. (DxH).

just ordered one cant wait to test it out. hopefully works good. so i wont have to build a fermentation chamber

Latest posts

Back