atc refreactometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edpietrzak

Reaction score
I just got a new atc tempature correcting refractometer with specific gravity. Callibrated to 1.000 sg with distilled water and took a reading of a cream ale that I am about to bottle. The sg 1.021. So I took a hydrometer reading to compare and that says 1.008. Am I doing something wrong?

I just got a new atc tempature correcting refractometer with specific gravity. Callibrated to 1.000 sg with distilled water and took a reading of a cream ale that I am about to bottle. The sg 1.021. So I took a hydrometer reading to compare and that says 1.008. Am I doing something wrong?

Refractometers work great for unfermented wort/must but once alcohol is in the liquid, it changes the way the light refracts through it so you need to take a hydrometer reading after fermentation starts.

There are correction tables to help figure the probable finished SG using a refractometer, but I haven't found them all that accurate.

Thank you for such a quick reply. Is it better to just go off of brix units or will the same issue happen?

Thank you for such a quick reply. Is it better to just go off of brix units or will the same issue happen?

Way, better to use the Brix scale. If you can post the original gravity I can tell you what your Brix reading is and you can compare for yourself.

Back