Cross-Contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabst51

Reaction score
New to the board... Looked to see if there was anything on this already...

I originally got my setup to make wine... Have a batch that will need to be stabilized & clarified later this week... Started a batch of wort last night and it is bubbling away in the kitchen as I type....

Soooooo.. here is my question... Do I need to worry about cross-contamination since I'm using the same equipment for both processes?

I'm being very "Clean Aware" with the equipment but I don't want to find out that I shouldn't have been doing both processes in the same room or with the same equipment.

Any input or ideas :confused:

:mug:As long as you cleaned and sanitized, I don't think your beer is gonna care. People age beers in wooden whiskey barrels. I'm sure you'll be fine; that is, as long as your not making PBR and your not that guy from the sports talk show.

Can't really see any reason why there would be a problem as long as you are cleaning and sanitizing everything properly. If you think about it, using the same equipment to brew a beer after brewing another beer shouldn't yield different results than brewing beer after fermenting wine all on the same equipment.

Clean and sanitize and you should be good.

Thanks guys... just didn't know if I was begging for a sick kitchen doing both with the same equipment, or in the same general area.

As long as your not going to brew sour beer, it will be fine. If you ever decide to brew a sour beer, you will need dedicated equipment and keep it away from your other batches of beer and wine.

Back