Heat during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxMan

Reaction score
Hey, All - so, lurked here for a few days, thought I'd speak up.

I recently started my first batch (go figure! another first timer thread!), per stormthecastle's "quick, easy, cheap" guide.

I followed everything to a "T", as it were, but I think I'm running in to a problem with climate control. See, I live in a basement apartment, and the controls for the central air / heat are upstairs. Typically this isn't a problem, other than it gets a little cold at night.

I've got my first batch of mead in primary, and I noticed that over night (on those few nights when it's actually cold), fermentation would slow down considerably, then it would pick up during the day.

So, I thought "why not move the mead to the living room, where the heater vents are?" It was working out fine, until today - where for some reason, the heat was much warmer than usual - felt at least 80 degrees, if not higher. I was gone for a few hours, and when I got back, the jug was warm to the touch. Not sure how hot it was, and I'm not sure how long for - maybe 4, 5 hours tops?

I took a whiff of the fumes coming off of it, and it doesn't smell any different than usual. I know that's not the best indicator, but it's all I have to go by.

So the big questions is did it get too hot, for too long, and is my first batch screwed? . Will I be able to tell any time during primary, secondary, or will I only know when it's time to bottle it?

I think you should be just fine. I'd probably just keep it in a place that would allow the least amount of temp swings. As long as it doesn't get down to low and stall, it'll be better to have it at low temps than high temps. I don't really know the working temp range of bread yeast though.

That's good to hear. It hasn't ever totally stalled, luckily. I didn't realize how drafty my kitchen was until the other night, but it hasn't been very cold this winter. I'll probably just stick it in the corner, and hold out for secondary. I'm going to start a few more 1 gallon batches (the "right" way) with my brother in law tomorrow, and I hope to find decent place around here to store them.

Just wrap the carboy in a blanket or something wherever you put it to insulate it against the temperature swings, or at least to help it swing slower. ;)

What yeast did you use? I used a stormcastle recipe that called for Lavin D-47 or bread yeast, I used D-47 and found out it works best under 68*. Jim (59*-68* for Lavin D-47)

I used some ActiveDry bread yeast, for that batch. I could always just store them in my bedroom (most constant temperature), but that would get pretty crowded, quick.

I just made another gallon batch (blackberry) with my brother in law, and I'm about to start up a 3rd. I definitely got bit by the mead making bug.

It finally got cold today, and I've got them sitting about 6 feet away from a space heater. They're at about 70 degrees right now, and doing well.

Looks like in about 6 - 12 months, I'll have a good amount of homemade mead.

Back