I need help with a conversion... I think.?.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBrewDC

Reaction score
Well... its bottling time and from this particular recipe, I am told to use 3.5 oz priming sugar. In the past, my 5 gal batches called for 3/4 cup sugar... which would convert to 6 fl oz.

Does this seem reasonable to use only a little less than half a cup or do you suppose they mean 3.5 oz in weight as opposed to volume?? And if so, what volume of sugar would that be?

(the more i think about it as i type it down... it is beginning to sound like a ridiculous question.... as there couldnt be that big of a difference between the weight of sugar and weight of water )

Priming calculators always refer to weight,not volume. And no,the 2 are not the same! 3/4C is equal to about 4oz dry weight. Even though 3/4C of liquid is 6 ounces. A scale should be used to measure dry ingredients by weight. Dry ingredients have a different weight by comparative volume.

The sugar is dry weight- so 3/4 cup is NOT 6 ounces, but more like 4.5-5 ounces of sugar. You can't really go by "cups" when you convert from a weight measurement, but 2/3 cup is probably close.

so since i do not have an appropriate scale... should i use 3/4 cup? (and yooper... this is on your head! ;) )

Latest posts

Back